'Bananas'- SR Banana van brake gear

Fat Controller

I'm having a bit of a wagon-building 'binge' at the moment, and thought I'd found a nice 'quick and dirty' conversion- the Ratio SR even-planked 12t van to a SR 10t Banana van. A photo on page 22 of the 'Railways in Profile- British Railway Vans, Volume 2' provided the inspiration. The body modifications seem simple enough; omit ventilators, fit an extra set of door hinges, and beef up the door frames. At first, the brake gear seemed like the sort of 8-shoe Morton gear used on LMS vac-fitted stock; closer examination suggests the one V-hanger visible is off-centre. Does this mean it's fitted with what ABS describe as 'SR "Patent" clasp brake gear' The wagon number is S50804, built to Diagram 1479.

Thanks for any help you can give

Brian

Brian

The SR used a brake rigging which had similarities with the LNER - two V hangers on one side and one on the other, but vacuum cylinder was on the centre line. There are drawings in

Bixley, G, Blackburn, A. Chorley, R. & King, M. (2002) An illustrated history of SR Wagons, Volume 4, Oxford Publishing Co. ISBN 86093 564 7. 160 pages
There are detail photographs in my collection, start at
in
BUT these are on a 9ft wb with a 17ft 6 in oh whereas the batch of banana vans with a SR van roof profile were 10 ft wb with a 17ft 6 in oh - like this earlier banana with arc roof
Paul Bartlett

Does this mean it's fitted with what ABS describe as 'SR "Patent" clasp brake gear' The wagon number is S50804, built to Diagram 1479.

I'm not absolutely sure Brian, but I think so - I looked into doing this a while back with a Bachy SR van, and the ABS 'nana van I have (of the earlier type with the arc roof) does have the same brakegear that Paul has linked to

Masokits do a "SR Maunsell 8 shoe fitted brake gear for wheelbases 9'0" to 12'0"". At a quick glance these look very much like the ones in Paul's photos. If you have, or know someone who has, a copy of Michael Clark's instructions for his various wagon brake etches, there are diagrams that show how it works.

Nick

Archived