numptys creek narrow gauge R.R. on30

gandy

so, might as well post what im doing. and have been since late jan.

simple little layout, 6foot by 1 foot on two boards with a veiw to costing as little as poss and flexing some old skills and learning new ones.

baseboards

nothing magic 3"x1" frame work with 6mm ply, pattern makers dowls and latches, total cost around £25

track

all peco 0-16.5 £70 (with 3 left over lenghts)

buildings

all built on foamboard, was being sold of cheap as sussex stations was closing down, wood was all cheap "scale" lumber windows and doors from grandtline grab bags, total coast maybe £50-£60

basic scenery

tile grout, something the americans do often, not seen it use that much over here, brought a couple bags worked a treat, anything else, i.e. ballest ,dirt, real dirt etc i already had, cost £15

trees

seamoss and twisted wire, wire was saved from the bin, was stell wire from arrmured cable (fathers a spark so lots of the stuff laying around) mixture of seamoss and garden pond filter wool used for twigs, still waiting of laser cut leaves, cost so far £10

fencing

just under 5foot of fencing, all of it cut by hand from large thin sheets of basswood, including all the posts all by hand cost £5 (ish)

backscene, really wanted to try a printed paper photographic one, the wood we already had, so just the cost of some lining paper (whitch i took back saying how much i used and got a partial refund) and the backscene so around £25

i wont bore you with every photo, just a few here and there, im waiting on some more static grass to come from downunder so i can start to add grass, with that will come leaves for the trees and i can then add the rest of the details (the most expensive part so far, at least £200) before moving onto stock and more locos.

100_0458.jpg

track down, wired and painted, ballesting just done, basic land formations done.

a close up of the colouring on the trackwork and ballesting on a test sample.

100_0457.jpg

some of the figures ive painted with a part done scratch build trailer

100_0315.jpg

just a tiny selection of detail castings

100_0416.jpg

some where stuck onto little bits of card so they could be placed in far to reatch parts of the layout

100_0419.jpg

a close up of my "cheating" method of painting flaky painted wood, its the fastest way ive found of getting a board-by-board look on laser etch sheet stock

100_045012.jpg

and the fineshed outhouse (the only kit building on the layout)

100_0513234.jpg

the 1st layer of tile grout, around the back of the garge with the detail castings from rustyrails alot more to go into this, also show part of the fencing

garageyard1.jpg

the start of the larger tree, that will hide the nasty corner in the sky

DSC02147.jpg

1st section of green, all grass tuffs and WS strands, may redo this section later

100_0594.jpg

backscene is on, all the tile grouting is done, all the builds where fixed at the same time as the grouting took place, the only building that is missing is the diner that gose across the board joint

DSC02163.jpg

one of the trees

DSC02172.jpg

another shot over the garge and rail served farm supplies

100_0636.jpg

one of the barrel castings, all "painted" wit thin washes of paint and ink

100_0807.jpg

the larger tree after reworking by removing the rubberised horse hair and replacing it with garden pond filter wool

100_0880.jpg

thats all so far. can post a couple photos of locos and stock if people would like to see it.

Archived