Bachmann Class 20 speaker placement.

dasatcopthorne

Hi Guys.

Can anyone help with the following please?

Is there any difference in the chassis block fitted the Bachmann Class 20 with and without sound.

I have a older 20 where the 8 pin socket is under the fan grill. I'd like to fit sound and it seems that I might be ablew to move the socket to the other (cab) end and get a speaker under the grill.

Is it possible.

Any help much appreciated.

Dave

Hi Guys.

Can anyone help with the following please?

Is there any difference in the chassis block fitted the Bachmann Class 20 with and without sound.

I have a older 20 where the 8 pin socket is under the fan grill. I'd like to fit sound and it seems that I might be ablew to move the socket to the other (cab) end and get a speaker under the grill.

Is it possible.

Any help much appreciated.

Dave

Hi Dave

The 20 chassis block was revised with the first factory sound fitted versions, to allow more room for speaker fitment etc, the height of the chassis being reduced, and slightly smaller diameter flywheels fitted, (these make no decernable difference to the running qualities) a 21 pin circuit board also being fitted at the cab end of the block. It should be possible to fit sound to an early 8pin version with some work, but much easier using the later 21pin chassis - as fitted to all the later sound/non-sound releases.

HTH

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

I have the new style class 20 with the 21-pin chip. Where does the speaker go? as far as I can see, a 20mm x 40mm speaker might fit on top of the nose end drive chain if fixed with double sided tape on top, but the wires aren't quite long enough and the speaker housing has to be taken off, if this the right thing to do? (fix on and add some new wire?)

I have the new style class 20 with the 21-pin chip. Where does the speaker go? as far as I can see, a 20mm x 40mm speaker might fit on top of the nose end drive chain if fixed with double sided tape on top, but the wires aren't quite long enough and the speaker housing has to be taken off, if this the right thing to do? (fix on and add some new wire?)

The 20 x 40 speaker will fit, without the housing under the roof fan grille. If fitted ? you may need to remove the roof fan/holder assy to get enough room for the body to fit back on. The speaker wires can be extended to suit. Bachmann factory sound 20's use a thin plastic cradle to mount the speaker. For the best sound results, try to seal the rear of the speaker from the front, with blue/black tack etc.

HTH

Archived