RMweb

LOCO IDENTIFICATION PLEASE

HEATH STATION

Hello ,

The partial image of a locomotive ( attached) was found in some old family photos. The seated figure is a great uncle and the photo is believed to have been taken at either Williamthorpe or LIngs colliery, both near Holmewood, close to Chesterfield in Derbyshire. In the background I believe is a PO wagon belonging to the Hardwick Coal company, owners of Williamthorpe and the nearby Hardwick Colliery. Lings and Williamthorpe were both served by the Midland, and later Williamthorpe also had a connection to the Great Central at Heath Junction.

The fact that the photo shows the engine lettered for LMS tells me it is post grouping but sadly not what the loco is and the absence of any number does not give any clues to me. Would the Midland and LMS people on here be able to offer any advice. Williamthorpe was well known in the 1960's for its Jinty hauled coal trains, based at Hasland and then Westhouses.

thanks in anticipation.

Dave Arnold

post-13240-0-39688500-1319637270.jpg

Extreme left hand side of the original "family album" photo seems to show the figure "1" as the last digit of the (invisible) loco number, suggesting it was LMS No. 1531

If that's the case, then not only is it the same type, but the same specific loco as shown stored at Barrow Hill in the other references.

Hi,

Yes it is definately a Deeley 0-4-0T. What is more it is in a livery variation that, although thought to exist, no photographic record had ever been found -till now! All this is gleaned from Bob Essery's LMS Locomotives (the Midland edition). The period would be 1924 to 1928, just possibly a little later, but given that no other photos of 1531 exist in this livery I suspect it is 1925-6. Williamthorpe Colliery had a long tradition of hiring locos from the MR, LMS and later BR when their locos were under repair, which they used their own staff to drive, so it makes complete sence that the photo was taken at Williamthorpe. The Deeleys were also hired out to a colliery near Tamworth.

Hope this helps

Cheers Tony

Archived