Model Railroader December 2011

trisonic

This month seems to have whizzed by.

I'm not a big fan of huge American layouts but I have to say that this months featured layout is one of the best I've seen, ever - and it is N gauge! "Rio Grande in the Rockies" is self - explanatory and the guy who built it actually seems to understand geology. The backscene to model is also particularly well handled as is the lighting.

Other articles:

Use of View Blocks (which is something I've been toying with too).

Casting Stone Buildings

Flat Car Loads

Animated Overhead Doors (engine shops)

Beautiful "Pacific Electric" layout. Although big, Shortliner will enjoy seeing LA as it was.

Track Plan: Joint branch line (pot boiler...)

Reviews:

Athearn GP9 Phase II (looks really nice....)

Bachman N 2-10-2 Santa Fe (ditto)

Exactrail HO Magor covered hopper (ditto, again)

Some names in Trackside Photos look familiar..........

Just skimmed so far.....

Best, Pete.

I too have only had a quick flick through over lunch, and my jaw is on the floor. The Rio Grande layout is excellent, and as for Bill Everett claim that he's made 5000 models....WOW...!! This even includes an example from my own favourite line, a Brill Master Unit from the Yakima Valley.

There is a video here of his layout, the camera zooms in on the YVT Master Unit at about 1:55

• RMweb Gold

... so not had chance for a proper read yet but Rio Grande In The Rockies looks marvellous - I see the guy is an artist.....

Mine arrived this morning along with the latest Model Rail so as I'm supposed to be decorating I was very strong willed (!) and restricted myself to looking at the Rio Grande article. So many trees!

Tony

Well, I collected my OCTOBER issue from the newsagent on Tuesday morning, which is fairly normal delivery date - towards the end of the month on the cover - I don't expect to get the December issue until early in the New year, with delay due to the Christmnas break. I assume that those who already have it on this side of the pond are subscribers? - and how the various model shops get it so far in advance of the newsagent trade suppliers I don't know. I shall be interested to see it when it comes though.

Jack

I assume that those who already have it on this side of the pond are subscribers? - and how the various model shops get it so far in advance of the newsagent trade suppliers I don't know. I shall be interested to see it when it comes though.

Jack

I subscribe directly from the US, and usually get mine a few days before those who order from SPV as I believe they are airmailed at the same time but then have to forward them on. If you have an article in, you usually get a copy a few days before the subscribers.

• RMweb Gold

Good issue, I reckon. Mike Danneman's N scale Rio Grande is magnificent; I've been titillated by pictures of it before but never grasped how gigantic the whole thing is. Truly an example of making the most of N by using it in a big space!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A cracker - as others have said, Mike Danneman's DRGW layout is truly fabulous. About 15 years ago, when I first started subscribing to MR, he had a 5ftx7ft Rio Grande in the Rockies layout in the mag, which was no less convincing albeit on a much smaller scale.

A local club to me, in Vista CA, are building a *huge* permanent N gauge rendition of the SP over Donner Pass. It's jaw-droppingly expansive.. N really does do well in very large spaces.

Archived