Suitable replacement motor for a BR class 02 shunter.

Hi all.

I've been refurbishing my OO gauge class 02 shunter and in doing so, I've found the motor is not working. I can't remember if it's the Craftsman kit or the DJH one, but can say that the motor is very small! I believe it is an anchorage one and is of the open frame type.

There are some dimensions below.

14mm wheels.

24mm wheelbase.

15mm x 10mm open frame motor.

Double reduction gearbox.

1mm shaft.

10.5 x 11mm chassis frame.

I have looked on various sites but not found anything with such a small armature shaft. Most seem to start at 1.5mm and I think I can open out the hole in the worm gear for this.

I have seen alot of modellers seem to use the mashima motors and wondered if one might be suitable? If not, can anyone suggest a decent replacement, preferably using the same gearbox for simplicities sake, or tell me for definate which motor was supplied with these kits.

My only stipulation for a replacement is that it should work well at slow speeds for shunting duties.

Cheers.

Sean.

Is the loco body brass or whitemetal? If brass it's Craftsman, whitemetal means DJH.

Also, did the kit come complete with wheels & motor? The DJH kit was (still is?) marketed as a "beginner's kit", complete with everything to get it running. Running gear didn't come as standard with the Craftsman kit.

I'd have to check, but I'm sure DJH supplied the DS10 or one of the equivalents, with a simple motor mount/gear frame.

If it's Craftsman, the motor & gearbox could be any combination at all. I've currently got one running very smoothly with a small Mashima can motor and High Level gearbox, but that doesn't really help you, does it?

Graham

Is the loco body brass or whitemetal? If brass it's Craftsman, whitemetal means DJH.

Also, did the kit come complete with wheels & motor? The DJH kit was (still is?) marketed as a "beginner's kit", complete with everything to get it running. Running gear didn't come as standard with the Craftsman kit.

I'd have to check, but I'm sure DJH supplied the DS10 or one of the equivalents, with a simple motor mount/gear frame.

If it's Craftsman, the motor & gearbox could be any combination at all. I've currently got one running very smoothly with a small Mashima can motor and High Level gearbox, but that doesn't really help you, does it?

Graham

On the contrary Graham.

Thats a great help.

I think, as mines a whitemetal kit with all the gubbins, it's likely to be a DJH starter kit.

Could you let me know which mashima motor you used? Sounds like it may be an option.

Cheers.

Sean.

Sean - sorry it's taken a while to answer, but I couldn't remember what I'd used so I've had to dig it out & have a look.

Took a photo while I was at it to show the difference between the two chassis.

post-11812-0-18380600-1319991549_thumb.jpg

On the left is the DJH chassis, built exactly as they intended. On the right is the Craftsman as remotored & chipped a couple of years ago - I originally built it about 30 years back and it's always been a popular little loco, so had seen a lot of use! It's now got a Mashima 1220 flat can coupled to a High Level gearbox - sorry, I can't remember which version but I do recall having to alter the upper sideplates to clear some lead ballast I'd fitted inside the body when I first built it.

The DJH kit is still waiting to be finished off - other things keep jumping the queue - but thought you might like to see the Craftsman loco on its current home "Tormouth Quay". Not the best of pictures, but I think it does convey the greasy, grimy, uncared-for look I was trying to achieve.

post-11812-0-96653300-1319991807_thumb.jpg

Hope that's of use.

Graham

Hi Graham.

Thanks for the enclosed pictures. The one on the left is exactly the same as mine, so it's definately the DJH kit I have. Ian, (who is trying to sort my 02 for me), has rather pre-empted this thread and has found an Anchorage DS10 motor to replace the broken one, but has also found a High Level gearbox to couple it to. I will see how this goes, but will bear in mind the Mashima one, should plan A fall flat!.....

Ironically, I am going to instal DCC in my 02 too and I'm interested to see that you have set your chip within the bonnet area. I'm wondering if I will be able to fit a flywheel to the DS10 too, as with such a short wheelbase, the 02 will need something to keep it moving over pointwork!....

Anywho, enough of my ramblings. I'll keep you posted on how things progress, but thanks again for your advice so far.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi again.

Well, it seems the best way to resolve a problem is often the simplist..... Ian has found a direct replacement motor for the 02 in the form of a DS10. Unfortunately, the new gearbox was too tight, so he has coupked the new motor to the old gearbox and everything matches up as it should.....

I have a question for Graham if he's looking in..... On your 02, there is a flywheel. Rather fortunately, there is a shaft extension on the new motor and a flywheel may be an option for me. Can you let me know what diameter you used and where you got it from etc?

Cheers.

Sean.

I have a question for Graham if he's looking in..... On your 02, there is a flywheel. Rather fortunately, there is a shaft extension on the new motor and a flywheel may be an option for me. Can you let me know what diameter you used and where you got it from etc?

Cheers.

Sean.

Sean - I think it was probably 12mm diameter x whatever thickness I thought I could fit in. Where did it come from - I really don't know - I've had a small stock for a few years. Try Alan Gibson or Branchlines. I know they do them.

Don't forget, though, that the flywheel is on the Craftsman chassis. On the DJH you'll have to modify the chassis spacer 'cos it's in the way. You may also have to change the actual chassis/body fixing point, but I think you'll probably just about get away with it.

Graham

Sean - I think it was probably 12mm diameter x whatever thickness I thought I could fit in. Where did it come from - I really don't know - I've had a small stock for a few years. Try Alan Gibson or Branchlines. I know they do them.

Don't forget, though, that the flywheel is on the Craftsman chassis. On the DJH you'll have to modify the chassis spacer 'cos it's in the way. You may also have to change the actual chassis/body fixing point, but I think you'll probably just about get away with it.

Graham

Hi Graham.

Thanks for the above. All noted well.

I think the chassis has been chopped about already, so a little more won't harm it! I'm up at the club on Wednesday, so will have a chat with Ian and see how we're getting on.

I'll be going to the Warley show in a few weeks, so I reckon I'm sure to find something suitable there..... I'll keep you posted.

Cheers.

Sean.

Graham

Hi Graham.

Thanks for the above. All noted well.

I think the chassis has been chopped about already, so a little more won't harm it! I'm up at the club on Wednesday, so will have a chat with Ian and see how we're getting on.

I'll be going to the Warley show in a few weeks, so I reckon I'm sure to find something suitable there..... I'll keep you posted.

Cheers.

Sean.

Archived