intercity mk 3 sleeper livery question

im at the transfer stage of a lima mk3 intercity liveried sleeper coach, the one i have 'factory printed' has Inter-city sleeper on the side but i can find no reference to one actually wearing it like that, all pics ive seen show it it as INTERCITY . which one is correct as id rather re-brand the lima one than have two that are incorrect. thanks.

im at the transfer stage of a lima mk3 intercity liveried sleeper coach, the one i have 'factory printed' has Inter-city sleeper on the side but i can find no reference to one actually wearing it like that, all pics ive seen show it it as INTERCITY . which one is correct as id rather re-brand the lima one than have two that are incorrect. thanks.

Mk3 Sleeper Blue/Grey INTER-CITY SLEEPER on the lefthand side of the coach body

Mk3 Sleeper Intercity livery the word INTERCITY only on the lefthand side of the coach body.

Lima clearly got the Intercity logo wrong when they introduced the Intercity liveried coaches to the range back in the 80's.

Edit: Lima didn't get wrong, I did. Sorry about that.

K9-70

The first Mk3 Sleepers were painted into Inter City Executive (raspberry ripple) livery in 1985, the INTER CITY was not introduced until July 1987. Therefore about 25 - 30 SLEP and 10 - 15 SLE carried InterCity Sleeper in black. Note that the hyphen wasn't used on this livery apart from on some very early repaints.

The ones belonging to Inter City Charter Trains were changed very quickly (and given white roofs) when the Mk1 charter stock was also repainted in Autumn 1987 and the other vehicles were changed pretty quickly so that's why you never find any photos of them.

Lima didn't use rail alphabet on their models so they need to have the writing changed anyway.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The first Mk3 Sleepers were painted into Inter City Executive (raspberry ripple) livery in 1985, the INTER CITY was not introduced until July 1987. Therefore about 25 - 30 SLEP and 10 - 15 SLE carried InterCity Sleeper in black. Note that the hyphen wasn't used on this livery apart from on some very early repaints.

The ones belonging to Inter City Charter Trains were changed very quickly (and given white roofs) when the Mk1 charter stock was also repainted in Autumn 1987 and the other vehicles were changed pretty quickly so that's why you never find any photos of them.

Lima didn't use rail alphabet on their models so they need to have the writing changed anyway.

Thanks for the info Flood,

I haven't seen any photos of the Mk3 SLE/SLEP's displaying the InterCity branding in black, only the ones I described in my earlier post. Sorry for misleading you with my incorrect information Dan.

I've had a look in my 1987 Ian Allan Spotters book, and have found two photos one by Bill Sharman and the other by Chris Morrision of Mk1 InterCity liveried coaches. Mk1 AA11 FK #13229 displaying InterCity Motorail branding at Stirling 1986 and the other photo, Mk1 AK51 RKB #M1524 displaying InterCity Buffet livery at Stafford 1986. What's interesting about the second photo is, there's part of a Mk3 coach displaying InterCity branding in black.

K9-70

• 11 years later...
  • 10 months later...
On 07/12/2020 at 11:33, muddy water said:

Just found this video showing the sleepers with different writing at Plymouth 

Also a nice formation of the Glasgow Penzance sleeper with additional carriages being added

The two HSTs are a little bit notable.  Both of them are in unusual formations (they are the normal 2+7s of the time, but oddly each has had a second TGS added to the London end).  Also, both of the power cars of the second HST would come to sad ends (the front one 43173 was written off at Southall in 1997, while the back one 43140 was written of at Stonehaven in 2020).

• Informative/Useful 2