Northstar Design

Peter Bedding

With their 4mm range of commissioned r-t-r Southern coaches, Northstar build up to a standard, and not down to a price. (Adrian is not one to blow his own trumpet). It is an unusual venture, and I for one nearly fell off my perch when I saw the first advert for r-t-r ex-LSWR coach stock in both pre and post-nationalisation liveries.

I have just read the Northstar website; Adrian has announced that when the current order book is complete, production will cease. A very sad day, but I suppose that my investment will not be damaged.

Who will step into this new breach? Someone has to build coach stock to run behind BWTs, O2s, and the other tempting Southern projects born of wish lists. I know I who would like to see, having proved their worth on these pages. I guess time will tell.

PB :scratchhead:

Northstar ceasing production is a blow to those of us too late to obtain the correct pre-BR coach sets for the Bodmin Padstow services. Right now I am running an anachronism with BWT 3329 hauling a Maunsell BCK-BSK set in Maunsell olive green on my 1947 version of Padstow.

I know there are the Roxey kits, but I am dubious of my skill level in starting brass coach kit building with these old shaky hands. I would have to turn to a professional builder.

Archived