Locos De-railing on Points

I probably will find someone who can do it for me, don't dare do it myself!

I was hoping to have a look at re-laying the bit of troublesome track today. Never got around to it though. I'll try and get it done on Monday. I'll post back with how it goes.

Cheers

Looking at this again, there appears to be a slight hump at the baseboard joint but nothing that should cause problems. Are the centre axles of the bogies free to move up and down or are they rigidly mounted? If the latter this is the cause of the problem as the leading axle lifts off the rails and goes the wrong way at the point. This will also happen if the bogie has restricted vertical play.

Re the screws as rail fixing. Truth is ensured by drilling pilot holes for the screws. It is true that vibration will possibly cause the soldered joints to fail with time, but it is not a serious inconvenience to resolder them. Routine maintenance will prevent failure at inconvenient moments. I have to admit I use PCB sleepers myself, which are prone to the copper separating from the base material. Some sort of flexible base would appear to be the answer. (The prototype had the same problem with stone blocks and wooden piles.)

Archived