LSWR Van Identification Please

Hello Guys,

Can anyone who knows their LSWR Vans please tell me what van this is please. I have been looking through the books and nearest I can find is either a Butter Van or Meat Van. Also if you know what type of an this is, can you please tell me what SR numbers these would have had.

Many thanks!

Garethp8873.

img1624t.jpg

Gareth,

I don't think it is an accurate representation of an LSWR van. These would either have a sliding door with X framing or from about 1912, two hinged doors with diagonal framing and a drop flap door. Mike King refers to these as XXX and XWX respectively.

I'm also dubious about the RCH axleboxes, never fitted to LSWR wagons to the best of my knowledge.

The side vents means it's a ventilated van and most of these were passenger rated (Mansell wheels, vacuum brakes etc). However there was one goods rated diagram (Southern Railway D1413) for butter traffic, which your van most closely resembles, although it should have 5 end vents.

However, the LSWR built some vans for the SDJR in 1902. The SDJR converted two to meat vans before they became LSWR stock in 1914. THey were goods rated and only had one end ventilator. If you have Mike's book "Southern Wagon Pictorial", look at S51159 on page 23; I think it's the closest you can get to your van.

Bill

WD47266 from MoD Bicester was a LSWR ventilated van to diagram 1401, built in 1908. It is now preserved at Swanage. I cannot find any further details of it at Swanage beyond a photograph of it without doors.

I suggest that someone may have based the model on this van and used some imagination in completing the missing details.

Tony

The top one is D1401 (presumably with the vacuum brake removed by the MOD), the middle one D1410 and the bottom one is sort of a devacuumed amalgam of D1401 and D1481. Never, ever assume the preservation movement will get it correct.

Bill

Archived