Decoder performance

beeman

I have a ZTC Tsunami steam sound decoder fitted to a Hornby Fowler 2-6-4 tank. This is fitted with a Mashima motor and standard gearing. Tried adjusting the CV's to get a slow running speed. All my other stock, some 40+ locos have Bachman 553/554 decoders. The performance of these seems to be better than what I can get the ZTC/Fowler down to, fiddled with the 'Trimming' adjustments and the 'speed curves' but cannot seem to obtain the performance/flexibility of the others anyone any observations/ comments please, Beeman.

Start messing with the K, P and I factors in the decoder. CV's 200-and-something if my memory is correct.

I think there are documents on the Soundtraxx website about what to change.

That said, though Tsunami's give great sound, the control of slow speed take-off is not their strong point.

There is a JMRI/DecoderPro file for these decoders - I wrote it about a year ago.

- Nigel

Thanks for your response Nigel, tried your suggestion and surprised how some alterations made the motor 'growl' very heavily, it obviously not liking the change so reduced the cv value to a little lower than where the motor smoothed off, I have managed after 'stripping/rebuilding the loco for a thorough mechanical exam to get an acceptable driver revolution of 1 in 6secs Now satisfied repainted into plain black.Regards Beeman.

Archived