Hornby Percy

Coldgunner

When browsing the 1985 Hornby catalogue, amongst the pictures of the prototype Thomas I noticed something. In one of the Percy train set boxes is the original prototype of Percy, which looks a lot different from the mould we know today. I was wondering if there are any good pictures of this prototype model? Its looks a lot like Awdrys model.

When browsing the 1985 Hornby catalogue, amongst the pictures of the prototype Thomas I noticed something. In one of the Percy train set boxes is the original prototype of Percy, which looks a lot different from the mould we know today. I was wondering if there are any good pictures of this prototype model? Its looks a lot like Awdrys model.

The model, there is a front shot of it in a 1984-5 Railway Modeller, announcing Hornby getting the rights to the range, shows Percy quite clearly sat next to a repainted E2. Percy in question was simply a Caledonian Pug with (I think) the cab from a J83, although I may be wrong here.

I doubt the model is either of Awdry's, given that Percy Mk1 was built around a Reidpath 0-4-0 mechanism and the other using a Tri-ang Nellie with the tank from a Airfix J94. Whilst the second may sound like it fits the picture, the locomotive in the catalogues clearly has a low saddle tank, whereas Percy Mk2 (Nellie based) had one that sat quite high.

Jack

Archived