DCC Features on an ESU ECoS

Earl Bathurst

Hi

This might seem a like an unusual question but I am just wondering what other features does DCC offer?

I have an ESU ECoS and was wondering what other things I can do with it, like I have sound engines how can you alter so when you have a heavy load the engines revs more but moves slowly with out going and having to alter loads of Cvs. Or what other features can dcc offer me.

If someone could tell me if there is something I am missing I would appreciate it. It might be something silly I am missing

Thanks

Hi

This might seem a like an unusual question but I am just wondering what other features does DCC offer?

I have an ESU ECoS and was wondering what other things I can do with it, like I have sound engines how can you alter so when you have a heavy load the engines revs more but moves slowly with out going and having to alter loads of Cvs. Or what other features can dcc offer me.

If someone could tell me if there is something I am missing I would appreciate it. It might be something silly I am missing

Thanks

One of the big features of DCC is being able to adjust the performance of each individual loco.

This is done by altering CVs ( there is no other way) in the decoder in each loco which can be done by most DCC systems.

The better DCC systems can also read the settings of each CV in the decoder.

The ECoS is one of the simplest systems to program/alter read CVs I have ever operated with.

There are a number of computer programs that make programing CVs etc easier. One such program is Decoderpro which is part of the JMRI programing.

JMRI is a free download.

Believe me, if you have an ECoS you don't really need computer programs to do normal every day CV programing.

The only time I use Decoderpro is doing speed curves in each individual.loco to speed match locos. That is about the only thing ECoS does not do easily.

To alter some of the sound file performance in some sound decoders requires a programer made by the same manufactureer as the decoder which is connected to computer.

Some sound can be altered via CVs in sound decoders.

To get a rev up in diesel sound locos and the loco moves off slowly try altering CV3 (acceleration rate to a fairly high value.

If decoder is Loksound try CV3=25/30 if other sound decoder EG QSI or Tsunami try CV#= 35-40. Zimo I don't know.

The higher the value in CV3 the long loco takes to reach chosen speed and the motor will rev accodingly.

The higher the value in CV4 (deceleration) the longer the loco takes to slow to a stop.

Also the higher value in CV4 can help to get a bit of coasting effect IE shut the throttle down will cause the motor decrease in revs but the loco will keep going for some time.

BTW, Most good DCC systems including ECoS can program CVs on the main track without having to put the loco on to program track.

Unless the DCC system (ECoS does) and the decoder supports Railcom CVs can not be read when programing on the main.

Take some time and thoughally read your DCC systems manual and the decoder manual and don't be frightened to experiment.

If the decoder/s get to the point of not working do a factory reset on decoder and start again.

Decder manual should explain how to do a factory reset.

Cheer

Ian

Minor point on Ian's post. JMRI does talk to an ECoS, but it does not talk "decoder programming" or CV changes, only layout control. This is because ESU's technical documentation on how to communicate with the ECoS has a large empty section on decoder programming capabilities labelled "to be announced".

Earl B asked about altering sounds. With some decoders this is easy, they support manual notching (very common in US diesel projects) which allows you to increase the engine revs. Others (eg. some Zimo projects) support having a "light engine" and "heavy load" option on a function key to change the way the sound behaves.

Even without these, quite a few ESU projects will respond with lots of "engine noise" if you wind the throttle up very high quickly, and then back it down to the actual speed you want to run at. This can be further altered by tweaking typically CV's 2,5,6 to alter the speed of running of the loco (as an extreme example, I managed to make the old Bachmann 20 project sound reasonable on a 6ft long shunting plank with a load of tweaks to CV values, but a re-blow of it to better sounds is much the nicer way out of the irritating whistling noise. I believe the current version is a lot nicer). .

Archived