David MacBraynes road fleet?

Catkins

Does anyone know what colours would be a good, or close, approximation of the colours used on the David MacBraynes buses, coaches, and earlier haulage fleets?

Alternatively, can anyone point me in the right direction for a website?

Cheers.

p.s. I hope this is in the right place. :)

• 3 months later...
Guest AlexTM

Hi,

I used to model buses for a while and the question of Macbraynes colours was always good to start an argument. Corgi (OOC) did a nice single decker that did look like one of their buses; it needed just a small area repainted red around the doors and the best match was Humbrol 19; but that was a model and not a prototype. The famous red/cream/green was also not the original company scheme.

Transfers for the name, logo, and Royal Mail logos was (certainly at one time) available from ModelMasters.

If I remember correctly the lorries were painted all over in the same shade of red (although some may have had a black roof).

Hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Alex.

PS. MAy be worth trying to contact Backwaterscotland (of this forum) as he was recently researching the lorry fleet.

Hi - as regards MacBraynes bus livery , which hopefully is the same for lorries ect ? , if you want to use aerosols the recommended colours in the Halford's range are....

Cream - Peugot Jonquil

Red - Honda Rio Red

Green - Ford Highland Green

Hope this helps !

Chris.

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose that I had better put something here.

Thanks to Scottish Modeller for the links, they have been most useful.

And thanks to AlexTM for the idea of transfers, I hadn't thought of that.

My initial posting was prompted by an idea to paint a (modified) mark 1 CK into a MacBraynes alike livery, inspired by the Stranraer "Sealink" coaches.

I will get round to posting some pictures in my gallery soon.

Guest AlexTM

Hi again,

Like the idea of the Mk1 in MacBraynes colours. Someone did a Lima Sprinter in the red/cream/green once and pics were published but I can't remember where. Looked good though.

Good luck with it and please post a pic if you do it.

Regards,

Alex.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

This old thread came up in a Macbraynes search, but mainly covers buses thus far.

I'm looking for info/photos on the freight operations late 60s/early 70s using the red/maroon lorries of the Macbraynes road fleet, particularly types of lorry, available models (suitable for repaint OR RTR), logo & lettering styles etc.

Grateful for any pointers.

Thanks,

Martyn.

I'm looking for info/photos on the freight operations late 60s/early 70s using the red/maroon lorries of the Macbraynes road fleet, particularly types of lorry, available models (suitable for repaint OR RTR), logo & lettering styles etc.

A Google image search for "macbraynes truck" turns up quite a few pictures with informative captions.

A Google image search for "macbraynes truck" turns up quite a few pictures with informative captions.

Thanks, I had tried "Macbraynes" and "Macbraynes lorry" already, "Macbraynes truck" brings up mostly the same pics, but very, very little specific for the period I am looking at (late 60s - early 70s), most images being models, preserved vehicles, buses or mid 70s onwards vehicles. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Archived