The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Dambusters

simon hudson

Just watched the latest view on the Dambusters BBC tonight and my faith in TV has been partly restored.The last few documentaries on the raid I found rather sad as they gave the impression that the raid wasn't as successful as first thought.

Plus it was a change not to see the 2nd world war dumbed down and made to look as if we did a lot of wrongs.

Thank goodness for all those brave members of the services I will wear my poppy with pride

One of the welcome points that was made was Barnes Wallis' submission to the UK government soon after the outbreak of war that developing an airborne capability to disable truly strategic targets was the way to defeat an industrialised enemy, rather than dropping bombs randomly all over major cities. Better by far to destroy power plants, mines, refineries, steel works, and thus remove the capability to make and operate weapons. That he plugged on his own spare time with these ideas despite official indifference tells you all you need to know about the man.

A little detail that might have been mentioned is that David Shannon, who successfully 'found the way in' to bombing the Eder dam on the seventh attempt - the last two attempts after he had seen Henry Maudsley's crew killed when their aircraft failed to clear the hills after bombing - celebrated his 21st birthday on the day he received his decoration for his part in the operation from King George VI

A very good, well balanced, documentary, in my view.

I've seen the 1955 ABPC production "The Dam Busters", many times, The first, when l was aged 12 (in 1955). Us kids had real heros then, not ball kickers, or, so called singers.

This BBC production re-invigorated that feeling of admiration, in contrast to those others that have been screened before.

lncidentally, there's a programme, on Channel 5, this Thursday. Nov.10th, at 20.00hrs. titled "Bomber Boys: Revealed", made to commemorate the RAF's Bomber Command's crews, during WW2.

Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for being a little late with this, but, there's a programme on 'Ch.12, Yesterday', freeview, tonight, at 18.00 hrs.

Some you may have seen this before. For those who have'n't, l'm sure it will be repeated, either later tonight, or, in the next few days.

Regards.

a couple of years ago I bought The Dambusters on blu-ray. Marvellous transfer with a crisp image, great film to boot! I hope the long coming remake lives up to expectations. U-571 is a stark reminder of what the film industry can do to a great war story :nono:

Archived