Christmas Display

Ian Smeeton

• RMweb Premium

I have finally been nagged into doing something useful.

Not often that you get nagged into doing something that you want to do anyway, but here goes.

The Boss, and all who know her know why she is called Boss decreed that I should produce a village scene with a wortking railway.

She had previously, with a little help from Yours Truly, produced this scene using a variety of Christmas- type buildings, snow scene cameos etc to no particular scale.

A plan was devised (you will see from the phots shortly) and a track bed cut from foamboard. Fixed to the main baseboard, some N guage Settrack points and a couple of metres of Code 8o flexitrack was then temporarily pinned and glued once the alignment had been checked.

Stripping back the boards, and teaching her how to use a hot knife on polystyrene was quite fun. post-89-0-04960400-1320833038_thumb.jpg

Masking tape over the track to protect from the plaster and other jobs to be done and on we went.post-89-0-50943800-1320833384_thumb.jpg

Softening the contours with scrim and plaster followed.

Very messy and great fun.

This is the first time that the Boss has shown much interest in the hobby, and all of a sudden is keen to get involved.

• RMweb Premium

More to follow when time permits.

On the electrics, the plan is to use a 6 volt torch battery for power, wired through a DPDT switch.

The switch will be drilled to accept wire in tube point comtrol rods so that the points change as the polarity is reversed.

Isolating sections have been cut to stop the loco, a Lima 4F plummeting floorwards.

Whilst I know that the 4F is a really old model, it happens to be a good runner.

Scale accuracy is not an issue here, so any rivet-counters look away now.

Mainly because there aren't any

• RMweb Premium

An enjoyable day out at Spalding show, shopping list clutched sweatily in hand, meant a few pennies spent, but not enough acheived.

One thing that I was looking for was point control wires or wire in tube, along with cranks, however, I was unsuccessful gere.

More work has been done on the 'Layout'. I do hesitate to call it a layout, as it seems terribly pretentious for what really is just a little bit of fun.

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Premium

After a good coat of semi-liquid plaster to hide the weave on the scrim, the entire area was painted white to represent snow covering.

A"textured" white emulsion from Wickes was used, mainly because it did not do what it said on the tin, and was a waste of time for its original purpose, however, its covering power was ideal for this jobpost-89-0-33046700-1321129632_thumb.jpg

I thought that I had taken a shot of the empty white-out of a landscape, however I seem to have omitted it.

No sooner had I turned my back than the boss had developed the area faster than any house builder and populated it with everything from trees to reindeer to ducks to people.

More to follow

Regards

Ian

Archived