"Once Upon A Time In The West " old west movie set.

Guest JohnReid

Guest JohnReid

What period are you setting the 'Hollywood' diorama in John? ( the 'Once upon a time...' label suggests post 1970's)

One suggestion...Have you considered using lighting effects for night time display ?

Actually the movie came out in 1968.

Lighting is a good idea however nothing too fancy would be required other than for security of the set.It could be set up in such a way as to add mystery and a creepy mood to the scene.Good idea!

Guest JohnReid

251111004.jpg

The next step will be to lay the finished floor in Morton's car.Hardwood floors on his side while the rest will be pine.I try to hand select each board for color and contrast.Using a darker one right up next to a light one will help to achieve what I am looking for.

Guest JohnReid

251111001.jpg

Even though it is separated into two compartments there still is lots of space to work with.The baggage side will eventually become a storage area for old props etc..

I have removed the orange windows even though they made for a nice warm glow inside as they were overscale plus I like to have complete control of the lighting including color.The ceiling has been finished with cherry wood veneer and I am now boxing in the beams in walnut veneer.

In Mortons car there was a lot of brass tubing hanging from the ceiling above to be used as handrails to steady himself as he moved about his private car.He was disabled and slowly dying from bone disease.

Guest JohnReid

I have decided to have a bit of fun laying the floor in Morton's compartment.I have gone one size larger on the planks(stir stiks)which gives me a nice edge to work with when doing the following technique.Wood floors can be quite beautiful when laid properly.I want to try a technique that I haven't used since my old ship building days of HMS Victory.Morton must have hired a couple of unemployed shipbuilders to do the floors and cabinetry for his rail car.There will be no visible nails or wood trunnels holding the floor in place.There will however be a black waterproof caulking material between each board which will make the floor more interesting to the eye.The wood is birch.

Guest JohnReid

Sorry guys but your site is just way too slow for me to be bothered to post any pics.When you clear up the problem,please advise me and I may then choose to continue this thread.Cheers ! John.

Sorry guys but your site is just way too slow for me to be bothered to post any pics.When you clear up the problem,please advise me and I may then choose to continue this thread.Cheers ! John.

Ahem, how very gracious of you to potentially choose to do so.

Despite the notice about intermittent slow speeds at the top of every page it's obviously unfortunate that you have suffered a delay. We will get right on the case and resolve all problems and let you know before everyone else.

John Reid has a reputation of invading forums and posting his threads, regardless of any interest in what he publishes. In another forum of an "over the Big Pond" model railway magazine, he was subjected to a lot of criticism for this.

Apparently he grew impatient and opted to infest yet another forum.

I am not going to miss his posts.

• 1 month later...

Archived