Where is This

ArthurK

• RMweb Premium

WHERE IS THIS STATION PLEASE?

I took the photograph in 1972/73 but I know not where! From the frame number it is sandwiched between two others taken in the Northeast (between Bylth staithes and Derwenthaugh). However I don't recognise it and can't remember where I was when I took it!

Anyone recognise it? Many thanks.

ArthurK

post-6751-0-16011500-1320940996_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium
It is definitely a Furness Railway station - Bootle, Ravenglass and Greenodd are all pretty well identical and in this style.

Could it be Coniston? We did have one excursion to there from Lytham.

ArthurK

I didn't suggest Haverthwaite because I don't have a clear photo - though it is definitely in this style. Looking at the only photo I have and a plan of the station, I would suggest Haverthwaite is the most likely location. Maybe the trip you remember included Lakeside as well as Coniston, Arthur?

• RMweb Gold

Some features of the building definitely match Haverthwaite (albeit more recent views) including the singleton chimney pot at the end of the main section of the building and the background is also right for a view from the angle at which the pic was taken. The presence of rolling stock at the left end of the pic also suggests that it could be a 'preservation site' which would fit for Haverthwaite.

• RMweb Premium

Coniston would have been demolished by the date of this photograph although, as you say, and as shown in £1.38s link, was a completely different design.

I don't recall ever having a trip to Lakeside by rail though I have been there by car. Could it be any of the Furness stations say to Ulverston or any point up to Coniston. Was Haverthwaite accessible to take the shot from the road?

ArthurK

Archived