My Belgian trains and trams in N-scale

roderik

Hi,

I've been reading this forum for some time and have finallly pick all my courage together to show you my Belgian railway and tramway models.

The locs and railcars are made in N-scale. The trams are N-metric, so N-scale body and Z-scale chassis. Everything is digital ('cause I'm an absolute duffer at electrics. :blush:)

Here are the links:

littletramsandtrains.fotopic.net

ninoveterminus.fotopic.net

Hope you enjoy it.

Roderik

Hi,

I've been reading this forum for some time and have finallly pick all my courage together to show you my Belgian railway and tramway models.

The locs and railcars are made in N-scale. The trams are N-metric, so N-scale body and Z-scale chassis. Everything is digital ('cause I'm an absolute duffer at electrics. :blush:)

Here are the links:

Hope you enjoy it.

Roderik

Some great looking work, good to see something different.

'The trolleys are made from dental laserfibers"

I used to work at a company that distributed these, so I had a few leftovers pieces lying around.

The advantage of the laserfibers is that you can bend them a million times and they always return to their original straight form.

It's kind of my thing to look for special (and sometimes strange) bits and pieces in my layouts.

For example this:

stylo.jpg

It's a turnout-switch I've made from a ballpointpen. You can't change the polarity of the frog but on a small layout it's not a big problem.

Costs nothing and quite easy to make.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Here are the links:

Hope you enjoy it.

Roderik

Really nice work. Like the weathering on the locos and love the little trams. Think they have similar ones in Antwerp?

Ben

Outstanding work Roderik, well done.

I'm an ( old ) Belgian guy ( 61 ) and I was lucky enough to see those vicinal trams running from Li??ge to St. Truiden, so your website brings some memory to me.

I discovered your layout when it was mentioned by Carl Arendt.

I'm particularly interested in the way you built the structures and houses. You mention the procedure on another website:

Ninove terminus

But I'm still confused about your technique.

Could you please be kind enough to post additional step by step details about making those structures out of cardboard using the textures from Scalescenes ?

Thank you, Dank u , Merci

Jacques

• 3 months later...

Outstanding work Roderik, well done.

I'm an ( old ) Belgian guy ( 61 ) and I was lucky enough to see those vicinal trams running from Li??ge to St. Truiden, so your website brings some memory to me.

I discovered your layout when it was mentioned by Carl Arendt.

I'm particularly interested in the way you built the structures and houses. You mention the procedure on another website:

Ninove terminus

But I'm still confused about your technique.

Could you please be kind enough to post additional step by step details about making those structures out of cardboard using the textures from Scalescenes ?

Thank you, Dank u , Merci

Jacques

Hi Jacques,

Sorry it's taken so long before I replied. In fact I didn't see your reaction just until now... :rolleyes:

12c9gh.jpg

Ah! An emigrated Belgian that went to Canada. I've got some family that came over there in the 1950's and lives in Toronto.

I'll try to explain my method of building structures and houses. (If it's not all clear it's probably my limited English that's done it, so don't hesitate to ask for an extra explanation.)

I start by printing some sheets of the textures from Scalescenes with a colour-laser printer.

Don't use regular paper but adhesive paper.

Then all sides of the houses are drawn on computer and those are printed over the texture-prints so I can use the drawings as guides for the cutting.

I print every side more then once. This is because the houses are built in layers. (windows, brickwork, protruding brickwork, ...)

Let's start with the brickwork walls. First the complete printed sheet is put on 0.7mm cardboard (about 10cm in N-scale)

Second, the back of the cardboard gets a layer of double-sided tape. Try and use the thin kind. There's DS tape for carpets but that's way to thick.

Thirdly Cutting! Use the computer drawing on the texture sheets to cut out the brickwork. Also cut out all windows and doors.

Why use DS tape? Since it's a dry way of glueing, the buildings don't bend when drying.

Now we need to put in the windows. Take a sheets of watercolour paper of about 160gr. (You can take thicker paper, but its not necessary.)

I draw the windows and doors by hand by laying the brickwork on to the watercolour paper and tracing the holes. Then draw then about 1mm smaller, not forgetting the separations in the windows.

Lighten (not erase) the pencil-marks from tracing the windows and doors with an eraser and use a light tint of watercolour to suggest the paintwork of the windows. Not to dark you can always darken it when everything it stuck together.

The watercolour layer also gets a backing of double-sided tape. Again cut out the windows. If you want a door with a 'framework' (don't know the correct English term), also cut it out 1mm smaller and additional layer of watercolour paper can be used to put in the door.

Finally we can put everything together. Peel of the DS tape and stick the brickwork layer to the windows layer. Then do the same with the DS tape on the windows layer and put a piece of transparent plastic behind it to make the glass in the windows. I use plastic from toy-boxes and other wrappings. These are tougher then plasticard because the plastic is designed to withstand scratches when the content is stored and transported, somewhat a downside with modelling plastics.

Now you have the first side of the structure. 3 more to go.

When the structure or building is complete, and since it's made out of paper, you can give it a light weathering with watercolours and a good finishing layer of matt varnish to seal against moisture.

If you have parts of the structure that's not made of brickwork but let's say painted walls, use watercolour paper instead of the texture paper and colour it with … of course watercolour.

As an extra: The roof-tiles are also made out of paper. Don't know if this works in 00-scale but it does in N-scale.:)

Take a sheet of plastic roof-tiles like Noch, Faller or any other manufacturer. Stick it down and put a sheet of watercolour paper over it.

Then, with a knitting needle, trace the texture of the roof-tiles into the paper. If you want to make a very large roof. Slide the watercolour paper to one side and continue...

Colour with watercolour. In N-scale you can use the underside that has been facing the roof tile-sheet because it tracings are much clearer. Nobody has noticed the inverted form of the roof-tiles (yet. ;))

Hope this explain it a bit. If not, just ask. I'll try to react quicker...

Thank you Roderik for taking some of your valuable time to reply and to fully detail and explain your "sandwich technique". I, for sure, bookmarked this thread for future reference.

About Scalescenes textures: I purchased one of their N scale texture sheet and I'm very pleased with the result. I'm tempted to purchase the "companion software" Model Builder from Evan Designs.

About the roof tiles technique: As you mentioned, "your mileage may vary" according to the scale". After about 3 days of "brainstorming" I still can't decide what scale/gauge I'll use for my Poulseur-Trooz vicinal layout. I wanted to hear the reply right "from the horse's mouth" ( the Forum de la Voie Métrique et Etroite Belge ) but so far didn't get any reply. By the way I noticed that you are a member of this forum.

Jon mentions that your layout is featured in Loco Revue. I don't subscribe to Loco Revue but I subscribe to their narrow gauge magazine "Voie Libre" where logically Ninove Terminus should have been featured.

Jacques

P.S. I voted for your Ninove Terminus layout on Carl Arendt's website :)

Did you ever visit your relatives in Canada ? At least there is no volcano eruption here ( so far ).

Hi Jon en Jacques,

The pictures in Loco Revue were taken at the annual Model RR exhibition at Sedan in France and came with the article about it. (No word from Voie Libre yet... :))

I built Ninove in Nmetric scale but I'm starting to get persuaded that H0-metric scale is much more pleasing to model Belgian tramways. First there's more rolling stock available from Jocadis and other manufacturers.

And we're starting a tram layout at the club in a few months.B) (the old vicinal station of Bouillon) and last but not least the Z-scale chassis from Marklin I'm using are not all that great to work with. Z-scale needs to have quite some speed to work properly otherwise they start to stutter because of pick-up of dust and smudge. So cleaning is a constant task. And speed is something the old trams were not associated with.

About your Poulseur-Trooz layout: you're in for a treat. Superb piece of vicinal railway. Fortunately, it's all normal gauge so you'll be able to use normal gauge chassis et wagons.

I found this site: http://users.skynet....the/vicinal.htm The normal gauge steam-trams have a survivor: 1076 that's on exhibition at the railroad Museum at Treignes. And a metric gauge cousin is at the ASVi-museum at Thuin.

And thanks for the vote on Car Arendt's website.

Our family from Canada asked us to come over some time ago but we didn't get round to it yet . And since we've got two baby-daughters, it'll take a while before we can...

Archived