The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Word 2010 (Win 7) won't open attachments.

Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

I'd be very grateful if anyone knows the answer to this problem (irritation really but frustrating).

Until recently if I opened a Word document attached to an email it would open in Word (2010, all updates etc) as read only and I had to select the option to allow editing. This is what I would like to restore.

What happens now is that the file won't load and a dialogue box opens with various suggestions (use Open & repair, Text Recovery, etc), none of which work!

I have re-installed Word and the fault remained.

The files open on other devices (phone) or even this PC if I use Open Office.

What I have discovered is that if I right click on the file I want to load and look at properties there is an option to unblock the file (that it has identified as coming from another computer). So I can manually unblock each file but I'd really like it back as it was before.

I have spent quite a lot of time trying to sort this but hopefully someone has more experience at this.

Cheers

Tony

Guest dilbert

Have you loaded a a new application recently ? There could be a .dll name or a resource conflict that is confusing one or more applications.

Recently when upgrading to a W7 32 bit system from XP (due to installation of a W7 64bit system install in another machine). I found that an 'insufficient memory' issue that existed between MS Works and (I suspect) a monster HP Printer driver application on XP, just disappeared. Yet both XP and W7 32bit have the same addressable physical memory constraints and within the same physical computer configuration... dilbert

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, I hope the following helps.

The PC is running Win 7 64bit but the Office software is 32 bit.

No low memory warnings have been exhibited

I use Windows Live Mail for email and Norton 2011 for anti-virus. However the same situation arises if the file is downloaded from my BTYahoo webmail. Excel spreadsheet attachments appear to load without problem into Excel.

Tony

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

This has now been cured. Quite a few people have reported the same issue and the advice seems to be to right click on the file and change its attributes after downloading it. While this works it is irritating.

My brother suggested removing Office and cleaning the registry, (I tried cCleaner and Norton Utilities) and seeing what happened after a re-install. That didn't work so I repeated the process but this time I installed the 64 bit version of Office. Everything works now as it did before.

Tony

Archived