DCC SOUND HOW TO START

morris50

I have an end to end small 00 railway 8x2 in which i mostly run Bachmann stock,diesels and steam,i would like to run a few dcc sound locos mainly diesel,ie ,class 20,03,25,other diesels not dcc ready,my questions are,what is the best option to take and the less expensive,do you buy a dcc sound loco ready to use or send in your own locos to be fitted out,what controller is required for only two or three locos in use,my present system is analogue,with guagemaster walkabout.

Also what is best dcc sound system,howes,digitrain zimo or what,i,d like the best realistic sound.

thanks,

morris50.

As far as the different sounds are concerned, it really is a very subjective question :)

The best way to decide what appeals to you is to hear them either on a layout or at a retailer.

Another way to at least begin to discriminate is to listen to them on Youtube, You can find just about every combination of locomotive class and sound decoder supplier imaginable. Bear in mind the limitations of compressed sound on the internet, of course, but you can get the basic idea of who provides what. That's how I made my initial decisions.

Of course, if you have a sound file you don't like, the decoder can be re-blown with another supplier's version for a few pounds.

I have found that Coastal DCC http://www.coastaldcc.co.uk are very helpful they supply their own sounds + South West Digital. Sound decoders supplied are ESU and Zimo. I have also found they give a fair appraisal of both there own sounds and SWD's. Olivias trains do a superb service of cheap replacement if you happen to get it wrong and get a fried chip. In fact I have had no adverse dealings with any of the major sound suppliers. As far as controllers are concerned this is very much a personal preference and budget thing, but again there are suppliers who are willing to help. If all else fails chat to operators at exhibitions but be wary they tend to be biased toward the system they have.

The sooner you get your toe in the water the quicker your wallet will empty

Terry

Thanks for the three replies,as i am totally new to dcc sound i have not a clue about this subject,trawling the internet mostly confuses me as i dont yet understand the jargon,i still have not found out my most important question,whether to buy a dcc sound loco from a retailer or hand in my own locos for dcc sound fitting in respect of cost,where i live rail exibitions are few and far between and retailers which deal in dcc sound are even harder to find.

thanks for replies,

morris50

Thanks for the three replies,as i am totally new to dcc sound i have not a clue about this subject,trawling the internet mostly confuses me as i dont yet understand the jargon,i still have not found out my most important question,whether to buy a dcc sound loco from a retailer or hand in my own locos for dcc sound fitting in respect of cost,where i live rail exibitions are few and far between and retailers which deal in dcc sound are even harder to find.

thanks for replies,

morris50

On this basis you would be well advised to test the waters by buying an RTR sound fitted model. You can of course do this by internet mail order whereas sending a prized loco to a dealer will be fraught.

As to controllers, avoid the lower priced entry sets designed and badged for the trainset market. It is useful to have a command station and throttle ( instead of controller which is really DC historically ) which tells you which functions are on or off.

Rest assured though that any command station will address a sound loco bought as an RTR product. Depending on your budget and income flow/disposable income, you might do well to concentrate entirely on the command station and throttle set up first and acquire the sound loco afterwards. This is because you probably have an existing fleet of locos that will need converting with decoders and this expense and learning curve as to how to get the best from DCC might use up more income than you suspect.

Nevertheless, the mistakes will be cheaper if you avoid sound in the very earliest stages!

Archived