Hello all,

I'm after some relatively high wooden crates/container loads for my bogie well wagons, does anyone know of a manufacturer who makes anything like this? Was it prototypical to use BD or AF containers? I'm also after some BR tarpaulins to cover these crates once I've found them are these available RTR? I've searched all over the web, had a bit of luck with Duha products, only they are more directed to steel pipes etc. I model late 1950's early 60's and was wanting a rake of load well wagons.

Cheers

Paul

There's the 'exception to everything' rule; but in general I would be really surprised to see rail containers designed to be mountable on a standard height conflat put on a bogie well wagon. These fell into the specially constructed vehicles group and were employed strictly when they were a necessity, because there were significant operational restrictions on their use. Similarly with sheeted loads, these need to be justified, probably as defence equipment being kept concealed from interested eyes.

Among the more typical loads were boilers, both stationary and locomotive type, large castings and forged components, (these might well be sheeted if destined for installation in warships) heavy construction equipment, steel sheet on trestles, generating plant assemblies such as turbine parts, rotors, transformers; fabricated plant for refineries and industry like refractory columns, cyclone separators.

Finally, if it is of concern to you, check just how many of the well wagon subject vehicle actually existed in service to avoid the impossiblity of a scenario such as half a dozen in a train where only three were ever built...

Archived