Hornby Class 73 Sound

nimbamoss

Hi,

I've been asked to fit a sound decoder to a Hornby 73, Doesn't look too hard what with the huge space inside but what speaker and who's sound? I have seen the Olivia's Trains and the Howes but does anyone know of one with both diesel and electric sounds?

Thanks for your help.

Ian

Hi,

I've been asked to fit a sound decoder to a Hornby 73, Doesn't look too hard what with the huge space inside but what speaker and who's sound? I have seen the Olivia's Trains and the Howes but does anyone know of one with both diesel and electric sounds?

Thanks for your help.

Ian

Both Olivia's and Howes will have used the ESU Loksound chip and will probably be using the V3.5 platform as a project base.

I do know that V3.5 Loksound is not capable of running diesel and electric sounds on the same chip.

This may have changed with the V4 but I doubt that a project has yet been compiled even so.

The only decoder I know that would be capable of both is the Digitrax SFX0614 piggyback decoder which has the ability to change projects by the change of one CV. This has been discussed on here before but there is no RTR project available for this Class that contains and can run both sound sets.

The Digitrax offering is a bit short on memory and uses quite crude technology to emulate speed steps. The speaker will be dictated by the decoder used and both ESU and Digitrax are supplied with speakers although the Digitrax one comes without an enclosure.

Confirming what Scott said, the Howes one does both, although there is a little bit of compromise involved. Bryan (of Howes) did fddle around for quite a while trying to get the full range into the decoder (v3.5) after some of my suggestions when testing a beta version for him.

The Howes decoder is set up for full diesel-electric sounds but cannot do the diesel motor startup or shutdown on the fly (the sounds will just instantly kick in or stop). Bryan has put the compressor and traction motor blower sounds onto separate function keys so one can run a pseudo-electric version. He has also added a third rail contact sound with spark to another function, requiring a blue or white LED to be wired in over the bogie to achieve the full effect (something I have yet to do).

I do have a video of the beta version in the thread I started for sound videos to be posted but, due to not having a layout for quite a while, I have not yet videoed the 'production' version of the decoder (Bryan very kindly reblew the beta one for me after he had finalised the 'production' version).

Thanks gents, any suggestions for the speaker location? I think I will need to make a nice enclosure either way to house it.

Has Howes gone onto the loksound 4 for the neweer sound files/ Maybe this will give the extra facilities for the electric/diesel sounds.?

Ian

Archived