The Scenic Airfield

In this case, my quest is to add credible aviation to the edge of the baseboard. I hope the thread leads to many thoughts, though for my narrower purposes I have chosen the decade before Nationalisation, and a place somewhere in Wessex. The type of airfield I have chosen would have been a minor satellite, or relief landing ground. A hint of grass runways, a section of a perimeter track, a watch office (control tower in later parlance) and Nissen huts. The type of operation would have been predominantly military, communications and training aircraft, and the field could have been temporary home to either an ASR flight, or a ferry unit. Visual "challenges" would be to hide the mismatch in scales, and forego any choice of large aircraft.

Inspiration comes from the usual sources, including DVDs: "The Way to the Stars", "Appointment in London", Night Bomber", and others perhaps better known.

Some of the obvious r-t-p aircraft are either ridiculously expensive, or are produced with a flimsy undercarriage, or have u/c selected and fixed up. Oxford Diecast's imminent Tiger Moth will certainly land on my 4mm field, despite the high cost, where it will join some antique Airfix kits, and a small selection of other r-t-p vehicles of the period.

I should like to pick forum brains for recommendations for the cheaper models, "diorama-ready" without reasonable disappointment, and which might lead to procurement.

TIA

PB

For models take a look at http://www.hannants.co.uk

For ideas on airfields, take a look at our layout Wartime 20001200000000F62p09000 even though this is, as it says a Wartime layout, we have only modelled the corner of an airfield, it is meant to be just a dispersal point with a couple of Spits ready to scramble.

Regards

Neal

Hello Neal

Many thanks for the links. I first saw "Wartime" about 2006 at the annual show at the Bentley School. I have seen it at least once since and followed its fortunes in the model press. I admired its simplicity and message. I hope to equal it!

In my case, the scenic area available (separate from the station) is some 60" x 26", on which I wish to attempt the context for the model. To be different I thought that I would look away from combat aircraft if possible, and hint at one of the many other activities (frequently overlooked) that made up the 1940s Service.

R-t-p models, for the most part, are too good to ignore, though some have their weaknesses. I have one of the obligatory Spits, and a Hurricane, albeit in wrong liveries. The Tiger Moth I mentioned should be perfect for my purposes, and my choice of hangar companions (should they ever be available) might include an Anson, Oxford, Walrus, or Proctor.

PB

Peter,

If you come to Trainwest in April, the exhibition is staged in the old gym from what used to be RAF Melksham, and either side of it are 2 surviving hangars, which I believe were built around 1917/18. But to be honest, hangars haven't really changed very much in shape for the last 90 odd years.

Regards

Neal

Hello Neal

Many thanks for the links. I first saw "Wartime" about 2006 at the annual show at the Bentley School. I have seen it at least once since and followed its fortunes in the model press. I admired its simplicity and message. I hope to equal it!

In my case, the scenic area available (separate from the station) is some 60" x 26", on which I wish to attempt the context for the model. To be different I thought that I would look away from combat aircraft if possible, and hint at one of the many other activities (frequently overlooked) that made up the 1940s Service.

R-t-p models, for the most part, are too good to ignore, though some have their weaknesses. I have one of the obligatory Spits, and a Hurricane, albeit in wrong liveries. The Tiger Moth I mentioned should be perfect for my purposes, and my choice of hangar companions (should they ever be available) might include an Anson, Oxford, Walrus, or Proctor.

PB

If you are after a suitable RTP how about the (hopefully) soon to be released Oxford Diecast Dragon Rapide (also available to build as a Heller/Airfix offering) should complement the Tiger Moth nicely both being de Havilland products. Although I personally still like to build my own while the eyes hold out! The old PSL book on British Military Airfield Architecture is pretty useful on suitable (and pretty obscure sometimes) airfield buildings although a google search may well throw up a plan of a T2 hangar you could possibly use. Think sometime ago I found a whole Defence Estates pdf document on them online!

Anthony

Further to Ragtag's kind comment, I have the Airfix Anson in mind, but it remains a fact that my skills of hand do not cover the full spectrum of modelling activity, and I have no wish to produce second rate when first rate r-t-p may be had.

Also, in acknowledgement of Wamwig's reference to the Dragon Rapide, this too will go high on my short list, but I hope to see Oxford produce one in a more general livery. Camouflage with either civil lettering or military markings would be ideal.

I believe that there were a couple of active squadrons by the latter part of WW2, assigned to ASR duties, and with detachments around the Southern Counties. Their aircraft establishment is said to have included an Anson for reconnaissance, a Walrus for pick-up, and a modified Mk1 Spitfire (with an air-drop dinghy stowed within a vertical tube within the fuselage), for air cover. Much as I could be tempted by wing-to-wing Typhoons on a grass dispersal, armed to the wingtips, I wish to reproduce one of the less glamourous activities. I acquired one of the currently available diecast Spits, because it was cheap, but found that the supplied undercarriage was injection-moulded styrene, which had warped and was too flimsy for recovery. In this case a false economy.

Again, I would also like to include a hangar (my one-time habitual home), but more likely as part of a backdrop, obscured by trees. For those with access to the DVD for "Twelve O'Clock High", the views of the main gate and arrangement of huts says it all for the temporary airfields of the period. Also unexpected, the original (Wyler) version of "Memphis Belle" shows that the 8th made very good use of Austin K2 ambulances. I shall end up spending as much time on the complementary scenery as on the station.

PB

Thanks chaps for the ongoing advice.

Following the recent announcement of Oxford's future plans (Bedford MWD and OWB), and today's surfing discovery, I wonder if the diecast entrepreneurs have hacked into my emails to Santa. I am told it can be done, and there is fast-moving fiction trilogy from Sweden wherein the central female figure can hack into any computer system at will, and in milliseconds using - it would seem - only a matchbox and wet string. It has take me 10 minutes to log on here this evening (sorry Andy).

At the time I made the OP, I had found the relevant adverts insufficient to tell me what I needed to know. Do the various aircraft models have undercarriage selected up or down, and if down is it sufficiently robust for purpose (having bought one cheapo which quickly went in the bin). So today with a few moments to spare, I went surfing, and found a website previously unknown to me (jumbliesmodels dot com). On page one was advertised a Corgi model: " Supermarine Spitfire MkllC No 276 Air-Sea Rescue Squadron. " (Undercarriage down option.) Not cheap by any means, but still less than a Restriction 4 Brake Composite, and perfect for my purposes. So one is, I hope, on its way as I write.

I should be finishing the fiddle yard first, but this scenic challenge has to be attempted. In due course, I hope to have some more progress to report on this partial airfield sub-project.

PB

....... I would also like to include a hangar (my one-time habitual home).........

PB

Peter

Does this suggest that what you would really like is a model portraying an aircraft in disembowelled form under repair, with bits spread all over the floor? I am not sure that anyone makes one of those, but it would certainly be an interesting challenge!

Best wishes

Eric

Throwing a spanner into the works if you are using (OO) 1/76 scale for the railway the airfield should also be 1/76 but most aircraft (and some road vehicle kits) are 1/72 scale.

One of the possible markings for the Dragon Rapide that is nice for us is the Railway Air Service, but then that also depends on your model era. RAS below was comissioned as a small batch from Bravo Delta in 1/43 along with BEA. You can imagine what fun was had going to the NRM search engine and asking to read a book on planes!

bd-dh89a-2.jpg

Guest Max Stafford

I believe Avro Tutors were still used in the training and communication role in the early years of the war.

http://www.modelsforsale.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=423816-AZ-Model---Avro-621-Tutor--in-WWII-Scale-1/72-#7224

There's also a more modern kit of the Annie, though it ain't cheap!

http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/special-hobby-172-avro-anson-mki-early-version/

Dave.

Again, thanks for the replies. All details being noted for future benefit.

Reply#11. Thanks Eric. Hangar Christmas Trees were always a threat to a JEngO/SEngO's peace of mind. My greatest achievement on this score was to have a C130 Christmas Tree on Kathmandu Airport in 1973. (I got it back, though). One or two servicing accessories would not go amiss on my al fresco dispersal, particularly a trolley-acc, a tent, and a table for the F700.

Reply#12. Thanks AMJ. I hope that I might be able to sidestep the scale problem. Only the aircfraft need be to 1/72, and slightly obscured from direct view (by a tree, perhaps). R-t-p models, and many of the relevant vehicle kit, come out of the box at 1/76. My period for this project is the last 10yrs of Era 3, which will allow some latitude on markings. My passenger rolling stock is variously in Maunsell lined olive, Maunsell unlined olive, and Bulleid malachite. Locos variously in Maunsell lined olive, Bullied black, and Bulleid malachite.

Reply#13. Thanks Dave. This Anson kit looks ok, doesn't it, as also the Avro Tutor. Hmmmm...

A progress report from Jumblies; qty one ASR Spit en route.

PB

Not sure if Arifix still do the Lysander but you can get a Revel one as I built one a few months back.

The Airfix Lizzie doesn't seem to be listed on their website, but as you say, the Revell one (which started life as the old Matchbox release in the 70's IIRC?) still seems to be around, and as I remember isn't a bad kit to build

Thanks chaps for the ongoing advice.

Following the recent announcement of Oxford's future plans (Bedford MWD and OWB), and today's surfing discovery, I wonder if the diecast entrepreneurs have hacked into my emails to Santa.

You've probably already seen it, and not sure if it fits into your plans, but Oxford have also got the RAF David Brown tractor in the pipeline

http://www.modelenium.co.uk/models/DAVID-BROWN-TRACTOR-RAF-OLIVE--76DBT001.aspx

http://www.flickr.com/photos/homer----simpson/3519662382/

Airfix also include one of these and a set of bomb trolleys with their Stirling kit- Sadly, I don't think it's ever been released separately, though they have been known to turn up on EBay split from the original kit.

Presumably they had other uses beyond dragging bomb trolleys around (the Flickr link above refers to their use as aircraft tugs), so would have been issued to many airfields, not just those that housed medium/heavy bomber squadrons?

• 3 months later...

The stirling kit i found a pig to make when I was younger, the bomb trolleys were rather simple but easy though.

I have a pile of part made kits to sort through at present, sadly most of the model planes i made when i was younger didn't survive well when i moved out of my parents and lots got left behind.

I wonder if the 1/48 scae B17 is still in my parents loft somewhere or if they binned it..

Perhaps time for an update...

There are no problems per se with the layout that is under construction, but some of the ongoing challenges have tested the sense-of-humour circuits, delayed progress, and diverted attention away from the planned airfield scene. The finished product is in the process of changing appearance yet again.

In no particular order, my six-year-old ZTC 505 gave up the ghost, and I thought it would be clever to change the choice of controller. I opted for a Hornby Elite, and learning the differences in controls, CV reading and setting etc does not come without time and effort. I hope that the two knob/dual drive facility will be worth the effort, but I am missing the ZTC. Also, the ZTC operator's manual is a much superior product.

My hoped-for extension to the fiddle yard soon proved impractical; the extra baseboard had to be moved too often in order to gain access to a loft trapdoor above. Without this extension, track lengths and scenic plans are having to be changed back to the original intent, and the fiddle yard re-simplified. I feel it prudent to get the fiddle yard operational before I make decisions on the extent of baseboard available for scenery, and the actual area that can be allocated to airfield. I fear that my hangar will have to be sacrificed.

Also sacrificed were ideas of a multi-track sliding board for a fiddle yard, and simple hand-lift cassettes have now made their appearance. On the plus side, I tested my first cassette yesterday (satis.), and the first loco ran the complete length of track before tea stopped play. So something resembling normal railway operation may not be too far away.

Also on the plus side, my ASR Squadron Spitfire arrived in quick time from Jumblies, and some more on-line airfield research brought to light a photo of a stray Typhoon being re-armed on a Wessex airfield. So my 4mm air force now has two r-t-p aircraft on establishment. (Both are still in their respective packing cases).

And even more good news, Oxford Diecast's r-t-p plans grow ever more attactive, and appropriate to my needs. The imminent Austin Tilly and Bedford MW will take centre stage, and the OWB bus will not be too far away..

I hope to have something to photograph 'ere long, and include this on my layout thread.

PB

Peter hmmm bit hopeful calling the Oxford Tilly 'imminent' we are still waiting for many of their early 2011 releases!! But I guess its all relative and if you want one before then there's always MMS (no connection just a satisfied customer) who also do the Morris and Hillman ones!

It sounds an interesting and rarely modeled idea and I'm looking forward to seeing how you progress with it.

As I was reading I couldn't help wondering if, given your liking of different aircraft, as someone already said, a repair facility / auxiliary flight service could work well allowing and explaining an eclectic mix of aircraft.

Peter hmmm bit hopeful calling the Oxford Tilly 'imminent' we are still waiting for many of their early 2011 releases!! But I guess its all relative and if you want one before then there's always MMS (no connection just a satisfied customer) who also do the Morris and Hillman ones!

Well, yes! Optimism is often the enemy of reality. But I believe that some of the 2011/2012 Catalogues may well appear this year, and I am a sucker for vintage vehicles. The airfield idea is just one excuse to justify variety. I shall follow up the MMS tip, many thanks.

It sounds an interesting and rarely modelled idea and I'm looking forward to seeing how you progress with it.

As I was reading I couldn't help wondering if, given your liking of different aircraft, as someone already said, a repair facility / auxiliary flight service could work well allowing and explaining an eclectic mix of aircraft.

Thanks, BS. Real life generated many excuses for the eclectic taste. Ferry units, Training Units, their diversions and detachments paid scant regard to parish boundaries, and most permanent airfield establishments included parenting responsibilities. Maintenance Units (MUs), Aircraft Storage Units (ASUs), and Repair and Salvage Units (RSUs) added to the variety.

And not only the permanent airfields (most now gone), but also the many satellite airfields and relief landing grounds. The Bentley Group's "Wartime" captured this history with just a few strokes of their paint brush, and I shall be happy to do as well.

PB

Archived