Canadian Railway Speed Restrictions

Andy Parkinson

Speed restrictions would generally be posted in the timetable for the subdivision. Special restrictions around work areas would have a special bulletin plus flags at the site (plus a lot of guys and equipment standing around :yes: ).

HTH

David

Now that you asked the question I thought I'd better check and I have consulted a CN, CP & TH&B timetable to be sure. All give limits for each subdivision for different classes of train. Some are more specific as to speed between certain mileposts due to track conditions or even specific tracks on multi track main lines. On the bigger subs such as the Kingston Sub (About 340 miles) that runs between Montreal and Toronto it gets complicated with no less than 40 general restrictions plus 21 additional restrictions that involve level crossings (this is for westbound trains only). That said this is information from a 1975 timetable but I doubt that all that much has changed since then.

HTH

David

Thanks David,

Presumably this means that between specific locations or mileposts the trackspeed would be set in the timetable and this is what the crew would adhere to?

Regards,

Andy

That would be my observation from riding at the front of GO trains (and able to overhear the crew if in the right type of cab car). For instance, the crossover onto the Newmarket Sub on the way out of Toronto had a (IIRC) 20mph restriction until they upgraded the switches (when it went up to 45, I think), but there was no lineside indication. Temporary speed restrictions for track work etc. would be on their trip instructions (and they would have to get clearance from the track gang by radio if there was active work). Normal speed limits are indicated at the lineside.

Adrian

I will assume that Cannadian practice is similar to US practice.

Permanent speed restrictions are listed in the timetable special instructions for each subdivision. There typically is a subdivision speed and then the exceptions to that are listed by milepost range in the special instructions. In addition there should be signage along the right of way marking the start and end of the permanent speed restrictions.

Speed restrictions through turnouts are set by rules or special instructions.and exceptions are noted in the timetable subdivision special instructions.

Temporary speed restrictions are issued by a track bulletin (form A in the General Code of Operating Rules, GCOR) and are marked with temporary speed restriction signs. They are considered an "unforseen speed restriction" to any trains that have already been "cleared" and so the dispatcher has to verbally give the restriction to the trains. In CTC the dispatcher can put a track bock on the block with the restriction to prevent the train from being lined into the area and failing that (or in non-CTC territory) the train would encounter the temprary speed restriction signs for which there is no form A bulletin to cover. The train would have to reduce speed to restricted and contact the dispatcher. If for some reason the dispatcher cannot contact the trains, then the person applying the speed restriction would have to protect the speed restriction until the dispatcher could.

As stated before this is how the US GCOR rules work. I am sure the Canadian rules would operate in a very similar manner.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I believe it varies. In Brampton on CN's Georgetown sub there are not speed restrictions posted ( to my knowledge ) but out in British Colombia CN and CP have signs everywhere. I went through the Rockies by train and got a good look at the right of way, allot more in terms of sign's out there then on Ontario. Must vary from sub to sub.

Grant Newhouse

• RMweb Premium

The Canadian Trackside Guide shows permissible speed signs in the drawings. Top circular, bottom diamond. Top is for pasenger.

I think I've seen signs permitting a higher speed for designated stock -- Turbo Train comes to mind.

The Canadian Trackside Guide shows permissible speed signs in the drawings. Top circular, bottom diamond. Top is for pasenger.

I think I've seen signs permitting a higher speed for designated stock -- Turbo Train comes to mind.

You do still see dual speed limit signs on the main lines with the upper limit marked LRC (VIA's attempt at an HST).

Adrian

Archived