Merchant Navy at Southampton

puck

Hi all. Wondered if anyone can shed light on a mystery picture. My father-in-law swears that a number of years ago he'd seen a picture of 2 Merchant Navy's, one rebuilt passing in opposite directions below semaphore gantry of Southampton Central. Despite numerous internet searches I've failed to come across this. I have found a couple of similar ones at other stations but being from Southampton my father-in-law says twas definitely Southampton Central.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards

Andy

• 1 month later...

Photographs of rebuilt and original Merchant Navy locos together in service are not particularly common. I don't know why as it was by no means an unusual sight. After all they worked together for more than three years. There are plenty of pictures of them on shed together.

I've never seen a picture such as you describe at Southampton. Could he perhaps be thinking of the painting "The Heavyweights" by Barry John Freeman showing Rebuilt 35016 and Original 35019 running in opposite directions under the Seaton Junction signal gantry?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Forester.

Thanks for reply. I have seen the picture you refer to and have suggested that it was the one he'd seen. He remains convinced he's seen one of Southampton so I guess the hunt is still on.

Puck

Archived