Backwoods Miniatures L&B experiences...

James Hilton

Hi chaps - I've not been on here very much this year, my 4mm modelling mojo has all but evaporated. Work on the outdoor line (http://ejklr.blogspot.com) has continued with some pace, and I'm enjoying working in the larger scale.

Last year I built a Judith Edge etched brass kit with some success and since then I've had a little hankering for another kit, but it wasn't until I was walking near Ringstead, on the Dorset coast with a wandering mind did all the pieces fall into place.

You see it started years ago with the Bachmann Lyn in G-scale, and Ian Beatties' article on the prototype in the same issue. Then in more recent times hearing the story of the L&B closure and learning a little of the history. Finally seeing the replica Manning Wardle 'Lyd' on the Ffestiniog - bearing a wreath with the words 'Perchance, it is awake...'

Well those words have a magical quality to them, and I found the original wreath's words even more enchanting... 'Perchance it is not dead, but sleepeth...'

So here I am, surrounded by boxes of OO modern image models that I promised i'd build a new layout for, I've a P4 project in a drawer, a large scale German narrow gauge locomotive over my right shoulder 'in the works' and a station building for the outdoor line progressing - yet I'm seriously contemplating one of the Backwoods Miniatures kits.

Lyn appeals for two reasons - one the start of this infactuation, the Bachmann model - and two, it doesn't have complex outside valve gear.

Can I have honest opinions and photos of people who have built the model?

• RMweb Premium

Hello James,

sorry, I haven't built any of the kits that you mention, but I have built the Backwoods NGG 16 and the Fairlie, plus their standard gauge industrial Garratt "William Francis". I also have a few others still in boxes and waiting their turn at the bench. I think that they are excellent kits and go together really well, as long as you are prepared to build them carefully and take your time. The instructions are always extremely comprehensive and the kits contain all the parts needed for the build, in my experience. Pete is also very helpful whenever I have dealt with him. I have no connection with Backwoods except as a satisfied customer.

Alex.

I spoke to an experienced 009 L&B modeller a couple of months back James who had built one and he was less than complementary about the build and running compared to his scratchbuilt chassis models of some vintage. I know that's not first hand or even helpful in depth but it's all I can offer.

• RMweb Gold

Hi James

Here are a couple of pics of the Backwoods L & B locos I have managed to put together. If you take your time, and read the instructions carefully then go together quite well. The Manning Wardle has a flywheel fitted, and runs very smoothly, and the Baldwin, using the compensation in the kit, runs well too.

Both models are awaiting lining - I am hoping that someone commissions a set, or I am going to have to buy some transfer paper and try to do it myself..

Alex

post-6305-0-48382100-1322437626_thumb.jpg

post-6305-0-35255400-1322437639_thumb.jpg

That sort of echoes what I've read elsewhere - 50/50 on running quality dependant on the kit builders patience in putting together a working chassis.

Alex, they're lovely photos...

Steve, no not the 009 society - no plans yet either, it's still early days and I've not decided how much of a short/long term project this might be! :)

Thanks for your help so far :)

Hello,

Built a number of Backwoods kits and there are 2 problems I found. The first is the pickups as some of the instructions leave it to yourself to devise how to biuld them. The 2nd problem is that I've fitted the wheels onto the axles but they haven't gone on quite square so most of them tend to wobble a bit. Other than that, plenty of patience and you should be okay with them

Archived