Viessmann German Semaphore Signals

ben racey

Hi Guys,

In a fit of enthusiasm at Warley I bought a Viessmann German Semaphore Signal(Form Hauptsignal mit Schmalmast Hp0/Hp2), which I think is broadly an outer distant(however I may be wrong....), for use with a developing project....

Of course, the instructions are completely in German, does anyone have any experience or advice on how to get these things to work? Currently scratching my head somewhat, so any suggestions or advice would be gratefully received!

Regards

Richard.

In a fit of enthusiasm at Warley I bought a Viessmann German Semaphore Signal(Form Hauptsignal mit Schmalmast Hp0/Hp2), which I think is broadly an outer distant(however I may be wrong....), for use with a developing project....

Hauptsignale are stop signals. Distants are orange, disc shaped, and called Vorsignale.

"Hp0/Hp2" means the aspects the signal can display - they are the official codes for the aspects in the German rulebook. I think Hp0 is stop and Hp2 is proceed slow - which should mean that you've got a signal with two arms coupled together, so it can display "top arm horizontal, bottom vertical" (Hp0) or "both diagonal" (Hp2). Does that make sense?

Hauptsignale are stop signals. Distants are orange, disc shaped, and called Vorsignale.

"Hp0/Hp2" means the aspects the signal can display - they are the official codes for the aspects in the German rulebook. I think Hp0 is stop and Hp2 is proceed slow - which should mean that you've got a signal with two arms coupled together, so it can display "top arm horizontal, bottom vertical" (Hp0) or "both diagonal" (Hp2). Does that make sense?

Thats correct.

Be careful where to place them. Every signal has just the possibility to show the aspects which make sense. Hp1 means there would be a route without a point branching off. Hp2 is used when this is not the case.

Every type of point has a maximum speed allowed for the branching track. It is calculated by the radius of the curve (they are standarised). Hp2 usually is 40 km/h, if your smallest point permits a different speed this must be indicated at the signal (orange triangular sign showing the speed divided by 10 in black numbers).

Hence your Hp0/Hp2 signal is useful for a starter signal, but not for the main line running through the station.

Felix

post-13602-0-41762100-1322155829_thumb.png

Thanks Felix, that's a very clear explanation. I'm planning to use it on a polish branch line terminus I'm planning, 'pleszew'. Clearly, for historic reasons Polish signalling has many similiarities with German methodology. As luck would have it, my dad does have a polish signalling handbook, so I've asked to borrow that to work out the signalling I need for the layout. For added entertainment... it's dual gauge too.....I don't half pick'em sometimes.....

I've been looking through a book I have on the Kepno line(lots of lovely 2-8-2 tanks...!), and you're right, the Hp0/Hp1 do cover the platform road, with a lovely selection of Hpo/Hp2 signals in the yard. I'll mull this one over.....

I have to say, it is a fantastic bit of kit, most impressed with the operation, lighting and that it will operate an isolation circuit if at danger, superb!

Regards

Richard.

I'm planning to use it on a polish branch line terminus I'm planning, 'pleszew'.

I forgot something. Hp1 isn't allowed for home signals at a terminus even if all points are straight on. So if you want to build a terminus you can use the Hp0/Hp2 signal as a home signal.

Do you already have a track diagram plan?

With Poland I'm not familiar. Which era do you intend to reproduce? I think those 2-8-2T engines are of german origin. Which do you mean, DRG Class 86 / PKP-Class TKt3, or DRG Class 93 / PKP Class TKt1 or TKt2, former Prussian T 14? Wikipedia provides some photos.

Felix

Hi Felix,

Thanks for that. I was planning to look at pleszew:

http://www.narrowrail.net/pleszew/

Latterly it seems to have had(has) a narrow gauge diesel operated passenger service, with standard gauge freight traffic. I plan to use my fully up to date modellers licence to operate it as an exhibition layout in a plandampf style event... we shall see whether that works....

The 2-8-2t is a TkT48, very nice 1940's/50's design of locomotive, in use until the early 1990's in some parts of poland in regular service, later still at Wolsztyn of course. I've an OL49 already in hand for this, so I'm part of the way there already.

Regards

Richard.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Felix,

Thanks for that. I was planning to look at pleszew:

http://www.narrowrail.net/pleszew/

Latterly it seems to have had(has) a narrow gauge diesel operated passenger service, with standard gauge freight traffic. I plan to use my fully up to date modellers licence to operate it as an exhibition layout in a plandampf style event... we shall see whether that works....

The 2-8-2t is a TkT48, very nice 1940's/50's design of locomotive, in use until the early 1990's in some parts of poland in regular service, later still at Wolsztyn of course. I've an OL49 already in hand for this, so I'm part of the way there already.

Regards

Richard.

The TkT48 is a delicious loco - absolutely super thing to ride on (as I did back in the 1970s) as they ride superbly even when run down and as they were still one crew or two crew locos then they were always kept in nice condition in the cab with lots of plated and bulled-up cab fittings.

• 2 months later...

Hi. I know just how you feel on opening the first Viessmann semaphor kit. (Purchase mine fron Conrad Electrics for the handsome price of £6.00 each. Agreat company to deal with too)

If you take a look at the English speaking forum 'Railways of Germany', you will find my posting of the construction of one of the semaphor signals complete with photos.

Archived