Tomix N gauge tram track UK suppliers?

eastworld

I ordered some from Ebay from a store in Japan which arrived yesterday. Considerably cheaper than the Kato equivalent (although I haven't looked at them side by side to compare but the Tomy ones look fine to me once they've had a coat of paint/grime to make them look more like a road than plastic, and although I've only set up a loop on the kitchen table to run my tram round as this was in some ways a 'proving order' to see how it looked and worked with my tram (a Linie-8 "Hiroshima" unit - which is moving to South London...), before ordering a load more - also couldn't figure out quite what did what so I bought enough to do what I wanted rather than everything I might need. I also haven't yet finalised my track plan so that will also factor in to my future needs.

Would you like to see some pictures or have you seen enough online?

This thread may help - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/395-tomytec-tram-track/ - it's where I found the Ebay supplier.http://stores.ebay.co.uk/plazajapan. Took about a week by standard post for the bits I ordered - some track and a Kato tram stop kit - and very pleased with the service I received. Of course you pay a little extra for overseas postage but that's life :)

A UK supplier would be good though so I will keep an eye on this thread..

I tried to find a UK supplier for this but because the demand is quite low I think it was a non starter (although with Kato now doing a range it may have changed).

If you contact one of the Tomix stockists you might be able to get them to order it but it might work out the same price and quicker if you order through PlazaJapan.

Good luck!

... although I've only set up a loop on the kitchen table to run my tram round as this was in some ways a 'proving order' to see how it looked and worked with my tram

Just wondering what you are using to power the track -- did you buy a Tomix controller or are you using something else?

I have lots of conventional Kato Unitrack on hand and a Kato power pack. I gather Unitrack is not compatible with Tomix track, but hoping at least the controller might be adapted.

I just cut the end off the power lead where it plugs into the controller, and connected it to an old Gaugemaster 4 track I have, where wires to the track are connected via screw terminals - didn't even think about compatibility, it just worked. Of course, my tram was designed to work off a 12v DC supply; I don't know whether all Japanese trams are designed that way and how 'special' the controllers are apart from the casing branding.

Kato and Tomix track aren't directly compatible and I haven't looked at that aspect yet - I plan to connect it to Peco track - but I am quite sure that a simple bodge job will make it fit - my track will be permanently connected and laid down rather than staying on the kitchen table.

This was the sort of stuff I bought - http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2eb9763c7a - ready assembled rather than the separate panel type.

Most of it is, understandably, in Japanese and finding out what is what can be difficult - this English translation page is very useful (scroll down for Wide Tram Track - apparently the stuff I bought is the new replacement for the panel insert type. http://www.trainweb.org/tomix/track/TomixTrack.htm

I ordered some from Ebay from a store in Japan which arrived yesterday. Considerably cheaper than the Kato equivalent (although I haven't looked at them side by side to compare but the Tomy ones look fine to me once they've had a coat of paint/grime to make them look more like a road than plastic, and although I've only set up a loop on the kitchen table to run my tram round as this was in some ways a 'proving order' to see how it looked and worked with my tram (a Linie-8 "Hiroshima" unit - which is moving to South London...), before ordering a load more - also couldn't figure out quite what did what so I bought enough to do what I wanted rather than everything I might need. I also haven't yet finalised my track plan so that will also factor in to my future needs.

Would you like to see some pictures or have you seen enough online?

This thread may help - http://www.rmweb.co....tec-tram-track/ - it's where I found the Ebay supplier.http://stores.ebay.co.uk/plazajapan. Took about a week by standard post for the bits I ordered - some track and a Kato tram stop kit - and very pleased with the service I received. Of course you pay a little extra for overseas postage but that's life :)

A UK supplier would be good though so I will keep an eye on this thread..

Any pics of the points?

Thanks

Stu

Didn't get any points, sorry - just the basic oval and some straight bits, awaiting an actual idea of what I'm going to fit in before ordering more - due to the postage cost I want to make it a decent order instead of paying it half a dozen times for 'odds and ends'.

Hoping to find a supplier of the 'basic' track somewhere for the offscene, unless I can bodge a connection to Peco track somehow.

• 2 months later...

I just cut the end off the power lead where it plugs into the controller, and connected it to an old Gaugemaster 4 track I have, where wires to the track are connected via screw terminals - didn't even think about compatibility, it just worked. Of course, my tram was designed to work off a 12v DC supply; I don't know whether all Japanese trams are designed that way and how 'special' the controllers are apart from the casing branding.

Kato and Tomix track aren't directly compatible and I haven't looked at that aspect yet - I plan to connect it to Peco track - but I am quite sure that a simple bodge job will make it fit - my track will be permanently connected and laid down rather than staying on the kitchen table.

Hi

I was just browsing this thread and thought I should let you know that Kato make an adapter track that will allow you to connect Tomix and Kato RAILWAY track the Tomix tram track has the same geometry as the normal track, it can also be used to connect Kato track to Peco so saves on the bodging.

I believe (please don't hold me to this) that Wellington model import Tomix not sure about the track but as others have said one place to get it is PlazaJapan the other is Hobby Search URL is http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/rail/ the site takes a bit to work through but it is worth it in the end

Hope this helps

Mark

I wasn't aware of the converter track, I'll look out for that, thankyou.

Project not gone anywhere as yet, too many other demands on my time apart from modelling sadly - but it isn't abandoned :) Want to get one of those Ikea APA boxes and see what luck I have with building a layout in that.

I know the feeling of to many other projects on the go and then getting no where with any of them I have just had to cut down on mine.

Kato don't exactly shout about the converter so you may have to ask for it I think I got mine from a shop in Pickering in North Yorkshire unfortunately they don't have a web site but if you look on UK Model Shops there is a phone Number and the owner is a very helpful person

Mark

Archived