Railway Modeller Annual 2012

DavidCPorter

Yes it is . Publish date 17/11/11. I saw it at my local WH Smiths on Saturday. I browsed looks like quite a classy publication. Good big pictures , but there did not appear to be much reading in it, particularly the layout articles which seemed to rely more on the pictorial aspect. From memory it also had articles on PECO track ,Ratio/Wills building kits, how to model condemned lococomotives as well as GWR layout and a Scottish Highlands one. There is a new n gauge layout built by the RM staff. There was also a Union Pacific layout which looked quite tasty.Also contains pictorials on various wheelbases and demonstrating it by models 4-4-0 etc. There is a review of models out in 2011 which again seems to rely on pictures with not much narrative content. Overall for £6.95 I didn't think there was a lot to it and elected to to buy the BRM annual instead which to my eyes has a lot more reading in it - but I was tempted by that UP layout , so may yet succomb!

Yes it is . Publish date 17/11/11. I saw it at my local WH Smiths on Saturday. I browsed looks like quite a classy publication. Good big pictures , but there did not appear to be much reading in it, particularly the layout articles which seemed to rely more on the pictorial aspect. From memory it also had articles on PECO track ,Ratio/Wills building kits, how to model condemned lococomotives as well as GWR layout and a Scottish Highlands one. There is a new n gauge layout built by the RM staff. There was also a Union Pacific layout which looked quite tasty.Also contains pictorials on various wheelbases and demonstrating it by models 4-4-0 etc. There is a review of models out in 2011 which again seems to rely on pictures with not much narrative content. Overall for £6.95 I didn't think there was a lot to it and elected to to buy the BRM annual instead which to my eyes has a lot more reading in it - but I was tempted by that UP layout , so may yet succomb!

Thanks for the content details.

From what you say; the BRM Annual may be the better pick.

I'll probably wait till the Wigan Show then end up spending

the money on a book!

Layouts are layouts and I tend to go by the other content.

As has been said, there's little reading matter and some topics are covered far too superficially. To give some examples, pretty pictures of newly released models is of little interest to anyone who follows any of the mainstream magazines, I really cannot appreciate the point of devoting several pages to locomotive development according to wheel arrangements, and "features" on the layouts of Pecorama and the Beer Heights Railway would have been far, far better had there been some descriptions and plans of the former.

Best bits for me were articles about the history of Ratio and Wills - a combination of fascination and nostalgia.

But as they say, YMMV.

Archived