fitting Bachmann B4 Bogies to Lima Mk2 e/f coaches

Can anyone advise before I spend my hard earned cash. I am hoping to detail a rake of Lima Mk2 e/f coaches to run on my 1980 period layout. I want to change the couplings to allow running with Bachmannn coaches. Thought of using kadees in the rake but need to connect to Bachmann style couplings for the BG full brake and restaurant car in the rake. Can anyone tell me if replacing the existing B4 bogies is possible or easy with the Bachmann replacements. How are they fixed to the body - if at all. Altenatively can NEM style Bachmann / Hornbyh couplings be fixed to a Lima bogie.

An article by George Dent showed him fixing an NEM coupling direct to a bogie without any means of it being able to move sideways. I would be worried about it derailing on curves - but am tempted to try as it would be a very cheap option

http://georgedentmodelmaker.blogspot.com/2010/06/genvan-coupled-up.html

Any comments, again much appreciated.

As I understand it you can use the Keen Systems close coupling setup with any NEM couplings you like

http://www.keen-systems.com/

Though not as cheap as George's method above. There's a similar system from a European manufacturer for retrofitting coaches with but I can't remember the name just now, and it is more expensive than the Keen one but possibly a bit more flexible.

Bachmann use screws, usually a self tapper, Lima is a dual male spigot that presses home into the coach underfloor, with two balancing bits of plastic that would need to be removed.

I think keen do a Bachmann style coupling that can be added to the coach, but does require a part of the floor to be removed for their part to be added.

Ian

Thanks, good suggestions. Still can anyone tell me if the George Dent method (which is straight forward and relatively cheap) will give running problems on a layout with 2nd radius curves. The fixed coupling will be up against standard Bachamnn NEM couplings.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived