Cayton Bay - A Layout inspired by the buildings at Bridlington.

• 3 months later...

Hi all.

I took my camera up to the club last night, so thought I'd post some pictures of progress on Alans model and a couple of my signal box too.

Alan has been making steady progress over the last months and we now have an idea of the size of the station. Bridlington was/is not a massive station and in it's heyday when platforms 1 - 3 were in use, it had some more offices etc on Platform 1 and between platforms 2 and 4. The model here is based on that which was built in the early 1900's, (I think), and still remains to this day in use as the main station concourse.

Alan has been concentrating recently on the booking office side which has a mass of windows and so has meant a lot of intricate work to replicate all those frames. The wall that now faces the coach park, (The East side?), is complete as far as the measuring and cutting goes and now awaits all the windows etc.

To gauge the size, I have left the 12" to the foot scale cup in place as well as the OO gauge figure you can see in the close up.

post-6920-0-39126600-1339695859.jpg

post-6920-0-32835400-1339695896.jpg

post-6920-0-70404100-1339695915.jpg

post-6920-0-01816300-1339695931.jpg

Whilst Alan has been making progress on the station, Quay Crossing, (Now named Cayton Bay, ready for planting), has had many of the fiddly bits added. The window cleaning platform is in place and Rumo of this parish has kindly made up some handrails for me which will be added when the model is nearer completion. I have been adding the guttering and down pipes as well as the name boards and general painting. There's still a lot to do on this, but I'm well on the way to completing it now and hopefully, the next pictures will be of the finished box.

post-6920-0-51542100-1339695842.jpg

post-6920-0-15571300-1339695878.jpg

Ironically, due to its likely position, all the detail you can see at the front will only be seen by the operators as the box will be facing inwards. Better make its back end look good I guess.....

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers.

Sean.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Well, it's a week later than promised but Bridlingtons "Quay Crossing", or "Cayton Bay" as it has become is now complete. It seems I've inadvertantly named our new layout in the process!.....

I've included a couple of close ups showing the interior - hope the camera is kind.....

post-6920-0-64630200-1343303333.jpg

post-6920-0-90675800-1343303354.jpg

post-6920-0-67430800-1343303375.jpg

post-6920-0-08443600-1343303393.jpg

post-6920-0-09967100-1343303314.jpg

I started the water tank last night and Malcolm is well on with sizing the bridge on Station Avenue which will go over the platform ends and disguise one of the baseboard joins.

Alan also seemed rather excited to find some clear plasticard sheet, gurgling something about overall roofs.....

Progress continues.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi all.

Well, spurred on by the completion of "Cayton Bay" signal box, last night I got right into the construction of the water tank. This tank stood to the East? of the engine shed at Bridlington. The tank was of the Braithwaite type, common in many ex N.E. railway locations and was panelled, 5 x 3 x 2. The building itself was quite tall, although pictures are rare, I'm not sure I've seen a taller one.

Anywho, I'm constructing the tank first as, although I'm sure the tank panel etches are the correct size, the size of the tank will dictate the size of the tower below. The tank at Bridlington was covered over with a type of roof structure, however, I've taken some pictures of the tank at Goatland and see that this tank is of the open type and has some nice bracing and, (I think), a sort of sink type overflow which you can just see above the third panel from the left. There's a picture below, but it's hard to get above the tank to look in - if anyone is a volunteer at the railway and could get a few "interior shots" of the tank, I'd be obliged.

post-6920-0-01675400-1343901803.jpg

So, here's a few pictures of the sides of the tank during construction. The two Grey sides have been done earlier to practice on and I glued the other two sides to the etches last night. I used poster glue in a spray can which has left, (totally accidentally), a nice textured finish on the panels. Since these were taken, I have constructed a base - or floor - for the tank. I also intend to construct a lip about two thirds up the inside and rest a sheet of clear acetate on top to simulate water. I'll have to have a seagull swimming on the surface too! :nono:

post-6920-0-62323800-1343901706_thumb.jpg

post-6920-0-77016200-1343901747_thumb.jpg

Hopefully, I'll get a little bit more done next week.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi all.

type of roof structure, however, I've taken some pictures of the tank at Goatland and see that this tank is of the open type and has some nice bracing and, (I think), a sort of sink type overflow which you can just see above the third panel from the left. There's a picture below, but it's hard to get above the tank to look in - if anyone is a volunteer at the railway and could get a few "interior shots" of the tank, I'd be obliged.

post-6920-0-01675400-1343901803.jpg

Sean.

Sean, does the Goathland tank not have a flat roof/lid? looking at your photo it seems to be lidded. Could be wrong.

Ahh.... could be the reflection off the top of thr water thats got me confused.

Hi Carl.

It's not the best picture if I'm honest, but it was really difficult to get the height to look inside. I took the picture, (well, Mrs Penguin did), from the common vantage point of the road across the tracks If you're familiar with the location, you'll know where I mean. I'm hoping that someone here will come up trumps with a much better picture.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi all.

Over the last few weeks, I've been pondering how to replicate water within the tank. Below are a couple of pictures of how I've done it. Nothing innovative, but I think it does the job.

Firstly, I cut some thin plasticard to about 2/3 of the depth of the tank and secured this to the inner walls. I then cut some clear plasticard to the size of the tanks area and this sits on top. I'm then going to add the rest of the inner walls in good time, but first I'm going to weather the interior with a moss coloured tide mark and a little rust and grime, hopefully guided by Alan when I see him next.

The photo's below are not brilliant, but from above, you can really see the depth of the "water", especially in the sunshine when a nice shadow is cast through the imperfections of the clear plasticard. Just to emphasise it though, I'm going to try and find a seagul to sit on the water having a swim. Does anyone know if/where I could get one?

post-6920-0-67227500-1344784223_thumb.jpg

post-6920-0-26029700-1344784243_thumb.jpg

post-6920-0-81313200-1344784259.jpg

That's all for now.

Cheers.

Sean.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

Just a quick update on progress with the water tank. I've been experimenting with replicating the water in the tank and with the help of Rumo of this parish, this is the result.....

post-6920-0-12455000-1346408982.jpg

And here's a "googlemaps" view.....

post-6920-0-85024000-1346408962_thumb.jpg

You will recall that I fitted an interior skin to the tank which served as a lip for the acetate sheet which was going to form the water surface. Rumo showed me a method using ink on the lower face of the acetate and after weathering the tank sides and bottom with various Browns and Greens, a very thin wash of Brown ink adds some depth to the "water". I have also added the overflow pipe in a similar position to that in the Goatland tank although this and the bracing has involved a little guesswork as this tank is slightly bigger than that at Goatland. I will be spraying the upper skin and bracing which is glued together as one and will paint the overflow a similar Grey, but will weather it to represent weeds clinging to the pipe. With the natural sunlight shining through the "water", there are some really nice shadows cast on the tank floor.....

Cheers.

Sean.

• 3 months later...

Hi all.

It's been a while since I posted on here, but work has been progressing well. The tank section of the water tower is now complete, pending attachment to the tower when pipes etc will be added. I've now concentrated on the tower itself which, as you will see from the pictures below was quite a tall structure. I've only got one poor picture of the tower to work from, so had to estimate dimensions based on the tank and the one picture. Using a ruler, I found the tank formed approximately 1/4 of the total height and so took measurements of the tower from there. If anyone could help with any other pictures, I'd be obliged.

post-6920-0-79356900-1354622285.jpg

post-6920-0-85680000-1354622262.jpg

The lower picture shows the tower with the tank perched on top to give an idea of size. There is some decorative brick work around the top of the tower and the first piece is leaning against the tower.

And finally for this post, a first picture of the "engine shed". Well, some etched windows.....

post-6920-0-76158500-1354622306.jpg

These are made by Bill Bedford and are almost the correct size. They should measure 16mm wide x 35mm deep, but actually measure 16mm x 42mm. I think we can get away with these ones as I'm more concerned about the number of panes, (4 x 6), and the shape of the top but again, if anyone can point me in the direction of something more suitable, I'd be obliged.

I should publicly thank Mervholden of this parish who alerted me to these windows. The next job will be to make a modular section of the shed using these as a basis and see how we get on from there.....

That's all for now.

Cheers.

Sean.

Very nice signal box, and the water tower is also looking great.

Going back to the station buildings, I assume the windows are blacked out to save having to create an interior, but can you tell me what Alan has used to black them out with?

Looking forward to seeing more progress

Very nice signal box, and the water tower is also looking great.

Going back to the station buildings, I assume the windows are blacked out to save having to create an interior, but can you tell me what Alan has used to black them out with?

Looking forward to seeing more progress

Hello Camapaman.

Thanks for your positive comments. I've just got back from the club and whilst there, I had a sneaky look at Alans work. Alan was not there tonight, but it looks like, having completed the brickwork and window frames, he lays acetate sheet over the rear of the frames and then overlays this with Black tape. Believe it or not, the tape appears to be gaffer tape, but I know from my band days that this looks to have a White residue on its sticky side so obviously isn't that.....

I'll try and get a definative answer for you in the coming week. These particular windows will face inwards onto the concourse, so it will be very unlikely that they will be seen in close quarters - unless we're lucky enough to get a magazine to offer a photo shoot, so there's no real need to have them detailled.

Just while I'm on, the water tower now has its ornamental brick work around the top and the window sills + caps fitted. I will try to take some pictures to show the inside of the station walls over the coming weeks.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi

Great, it sort of looked liked tape, but I wasn't 100% sure, I have some black tape like gaffer tape, but its called Rhino tape and the adhesive is clear so would work ok for this.

I agree that it seems pointless in detailing where it wont be seen, some of the buildings I am making for my layout will not be seen very well from some angles, so this method seems a good way of depicting a dark interior to the building, and it also would stop the light shining straight through where buildings should have interior walls.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

Over the Christmas period, I had a little time to scale up a drawing of the shed and make a rough template using the book "North Eastern Record Vol 1" as a reference.

Rather pleasingly, my amateur guesswork was very close and the result is pictured below.....

post-6920-0-32732400-1357220916.jpg

post-6920-0-81579100-1357220962.jpg

post-6920-0-36850000-1357222877.jpg

It appears that my measurements are a couple of millimetres out in overall height but apart from that, we are almost good to start work on the shed. My dad always said that Bridlington shed could hold 3 x B1's on each road and the length will just about accommodate this but we may consider adding one more modular section, just to make sure. Either that, or add a couple of mm to each section to make sure.

Windows are still causing a problem though. At worst, I will cut down the Bill Bedford etch by one row of panes which will make just about right sized windows, but if anyone does know of a decent etched industrial window with panes 4 x 6 and a half arched top, I would be really pleased to hear from you.

Cheers.

Sean.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

Just got back from the club rooms where, earlier this evening, Alan tapped me on the shoulder and with a big grin on his face, pointed over to his model of Bridlington Station. You will see from the pictures below that he has now got all the walls made for the concourse building and we have had our first preview of how the station will look when complete. I am sure those of you who have visited the station in the past will instantly recognise it, I know I certainly do.

Thoughts turned tonight to the construction of the overall roof which is part glazed and part barge boarded with a stack of trussing to boot. There's still a lot of work to do before then though so in the mean time, here's a couple of pictures of work so far.

post-6920-0-00195000-1359587414.png

post-6920-0-07970900-1359587439.png

While I'm on, I thought I'd also post a couple of pictures of the water tower too, especially since I got the window frames in place tonight. The rest of the evening was spent constructing a billboard for the "bridge end". One of the few pictures I have of this water tower depicts it with a large advertising hoarding. The one poster on the hoarding advertises a well known alcoholic beverage drunk by a famous british spy. The poster has obviously been there for some time when the picture was taken as it has begun to peel away from the top corner. I have replicated this on my version as well as having a bit of the frame coming away from the board itself. A little bit of weathering in due course should tone the brightness down.

Anywho, here's a couple of pictures.

post-6920-0-29114800-1359587490.png

post-6920-0-63835000-1359587513.png

Cheers.

Sean.

Archived