Mk2 coaches end details

murray1

I am detailing Lima and Airfix Mk2d and e/f coaches. I am looking for reference pics or information on the end detailing. I will be buying Fox transfers or similar but need to see where exactly the C1, data panels etc should be placed. Hope for some help.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A good choice! Fortunately they all pretty well followed the same format for the layout of the OHL warning plates, route restriction code C1 and the location of the vehicle type code - and "Air Braked Electric Heated, all in rail white - all that changed was the type code i.e. SO/BSO/FO though some later also acquired the ETH index. There was variance between works as to the location of the overhaul dates, but these were generally placed on the left hand side at the bottom.

This photo of Robert Carroll's gives a good idea of the correct layout. E5673_IId_TSO

Note that from 1973 (coincident with the introduction of the Mark 3 Stock) the use of the word "Restriction" above the route code (C1) was abandoned.

A good choice! Fortunately they all pretty well followed the same format for the layout of the OHL warning plates, route restriction code C1 and the location of the vehicle type code - and "Air Braked Electric Heated, all in rail white - all that changed was the type code i.e. SO/BSO/FO though some later also acquired the ETH index. There was variance between works as to the location of the overhaul dates, but these were generally placed on the left hand side at the bottom.

This photo of Robert Carroll's gives a good idea of the correct layout. http://flic.kr/p/4zgUXX

Note that from 1973 (coincident with the introduction of the Mark 3 Stock) the use of the word "Restriction" above the route code (C1) was abandoned.

Thanks, excellent link to an excellent selection of pics - one question though. Was the FO and BSO the same as the TSO shown in the picture.

• RMweb Premium

invisible ink again.... The general layout didn't change even with the original Mk2s and 2A's - just the painters avoided the wrapround doors on the later builds. Bear in mind we were still tied fairly rigidly to the layouts set by the Director of Design, though the odd departure can still be found) this stayed pretty well the same all the way through to the Mark III sleepers...... The BSO was - apart from the type code, identical in signage to the FO and SOs.

Edited by Bob-65b

• RMweb Premium

Mostly pre-cut 3M pressure-sensitive plastic film for - very thin stuff, laid over a white basecoat and before the blue topcoats after which the masking layer was pulled off revealling the rail white lettering......

Works overhaul dates were however in some cases signwritten.

• 2 months later...

Gangway door colours may vary.

Mk 2a - Lime Green for TSO and BSO. Orangy Red for FK and BFK.

Mk 2b - Flame Red.

Mk 2c - Flame Red.

Mk 2d - Flame Red.

Mk 2e - Fawn.

Mk 2f - Fawn.

This may partially contradict what is in the various coaching stock pocket books and Michael Harris but I believe it to be correct.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

p.35 of the harris mk2 book has 2 pics in 1964 - FKs E13366 in maroon and S13389 in green, both with flashes present

there may be an instruction from the carriage standards committee minutes in the parkin mk1 supplement whichdetails the 'overall' use of the flashes

• 6 years later...