Not Newton Stewart Railway Station - but where is it ?

Guest stuartp

Guest stuartp

As some of you may know I have a particularly unhealthy obsession with this particular station, so imagine my delight when this popped up on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item27c06b9bd4

Now I can see what it says on the front of the card, so this is in no way a criticism of the seller, but either that's not Newton Stewart, or it's not the railway station. Newton Stewart station was a good 1/2 mile from the river, and a hundred feet or so above it, not on the river bank.

If it is in Newton Stewart, judging from the left then right sweep of the river it looks like part of (what is now) Riverside Road, where the big public car park is now. However, it does look like a railway station, which suggests it's not Newton Stewart at all, and begs the question 'where on earth is it' ?

That's assuming there isn't another Newton Stewart somewhere I don't know about of course !

Apologies if you're the person currently bidding over a tenner with 7 hours to go, but I've only just noticed it.

Riverside terminus, doesn't strike me as being particularly SW-Scottish looking architecture nearby... haven't a clue.

My first thought was actually North British or maybe Caley somewhere, but even then, nothing really 'signature' to my eye.

Solved ! It's Newtownstewart in County Tyrone ! So this thread was not only premature, it's now in the wrong group ! :sungum:

I'll just go back to sleep.

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

Indeed it is - on the GNR(I) "Derry Road". Now as obliterated (in this case by a road) as is the "other Newtown Stewart" station in Galloway! Though It's the first time I've seen that angle of the station, most of the pictures seem to be from trains passing. Not many enthusiast photogrpahers got out there it seems.

Colm Flanagan

Archived