My idea - 'Five Ponds Lane'

KalKat

Well I thought I'd better get my idea for a name in before anybody else thought of it ;)

The idea (so far) is for a Southern Branch line (who groaned at the back there?) passing station, with a small foundry using narrow gauge as part of the scheme.

So far this is all mostly sketches and scribbles - I'll post some more once it becomes ........ 'legible' :lol:

Emma

Well I thought I'd better get my idea for a name in before anybody else thought of it ;)

The idea (so far) is for a Southern Branch line (who groaned at the back there?) passing station, with a small foundry using narrow gauge as part of the scheme.

So far this is all mostly sketches and scribbles - I'll post some more once it becomes ........ 'legible' :lol:

Emma

It sounds like a start, Emma. As much as branch lines are cliches, they (to me anyway) are far more charming and fun that 4 track mainlines. They provide many opportunities for interesting prototypes. I do like the Narrow Guage idea.

Hello Emma,

Where did you get the name from, is it protypical in any way ?. Just a thought but, would `Five Pound Lane` link in more with the foundry idea ?. Sometimes these old names are linked to industries of the past. We have a `Forty Foot Road` near here on the old NER goods depot in Middlesbrough. All a bit strange but curiosity is what makes them charming.

Kind regards

Ian

Hello Emma,

Where did you get the name from, is it protypical in any way ?. Just a thought but, would `Five Pound Lane` link in more with the foundry idea ?. Sometimes these old names are linked to industries of the past. We have a `Forty Foot Road` near here on the old NER goods depot in Middlesbrough. All a bit strange but curiosity is what makes them charming.

Kind regards

Ian

I would relate "Five ponds" to either the Lake District or a feature I saw on a coillery layout which was some form of filtering from water pumped out before it joined main water sources. I think it was in Model Rail.

Thanks peoples!

The name is derived from 'Fishponds Lane' - the link being in the early days of the foundry water power would have been used. Water courses were often diverted for both fish keeping ponds and for industry. I did toy with the idea of 'Five Pounds' but couldn't find a sensible link to iron or blacksmithing :huh:

Emma

Archived