Bachmann 25 with Loksound v4.0 heat issue?

tamiya_runner

I've just got a Bachmann Class 25 231 BR Blue Weathered Diesel Locomotive + Loksound v4.0 Diesel “Class 25” Digital Sound Decoder with Speaker,

After running in for 1 hour in each diertion the loco ran very smoth. I fitted the decoder and ran it a little maybe 10 mins, When I can to refit the body, I found the decoder to be very hot, worried at this I left it to cool and remove it from the loco and refitted the blanking chip - the loco ran fine.

Has anybody else had any issues with dcc sound chips getting very hot?

The sound chips can get quite hot when running continuously on higher volumes. Your chip and loco are probably fine. I believe the Loskound chips have a thermal cutout and the sound will become intermittent if they get too hot, but this usually only occurs if the ventilation is very poor, eg if they are wrapped in insulation tape or somesuch.

I have some input on the "problem" your'e describing.

It all comes down to what DCC system you have.....

I have the standard Roco Multimaus myself (the old one with the big trafo, no wall-wart...), and it worked very well until I started to buy sound decoders of the newer generations?!?

I lost a few US made sound decoders in some time, and I couldn't figure the problem out.

Then I realised that the decoders were very hot, even the ESU ones.

It didn't matter if they were standing there or running.

After some research and help from a friend who has the right equipment, we saw that the Square wave voltage were on the high side.

I then took four rectifying bridges and made a reducing circuit, with two in each wire.

There was no bad side effects of it, the biggest differences were that the decoders were now rather cool AND the programming worked better?!?

If you have a Lenz system, then you can change the voltage out to the tracks.....

The sound chips can get quite hot when running continuously on higher volumes. Your chip and loco are probably fine. I believe the Loskound chips have a thermal cutout and the sound will become intermittent if they get too hot, but this usually only occurs if the ventilation is very poor, eg if they are wrapped in insulation tape or somesuch.

Hey Bif,

Don't you use a Roco Multimaus?

Paul

I do, but with a Lenz base station, upon which you can change the track voltage via the menu system. I haven't messed with mine but the suggestion above regarding the track voltage is probably true as the higher the voltage the more power will be dissipated by the chip for the same waveform.

Archived