Hight intensity headlights for BR diesels

My Network Rail yellow Class 20 was purchased and found not to have high intensity headlight mouldings already fitted, so I contacted Hornby and they sent me the two tiny, ready-painted, fittings. As I was carefully holding one of them in tweezers while I applied a tiny bit of plastic cement to the fitting, it went 'ting' and it was gone!

The second one was NOT held in tweezers!

Couldn't find the first one, no matter what, so I finished up MAKING one to match the remaining lamp housing, and it is quite simple really - just two pieces of plastic, one thicker (1/16th?) and a very thin piece for the backing plate (don't know what gauge, but it's thin!).

Drill a hole (about 1/16th diameter) first into the thicker sheet of plastic, the size drill to match the hole in the headlamp housing of any loco, then cut the plastic to form a square around the hole, about 1/8th inch seems to be about right. Drill a hole of the same diameter in the thin sheet of plastic and glue it to the thicker square of plastic so that the holes are lined up, then cut the thin sheet of plastic so that it is just that little bit bigger than the thicker part. Paint with suitable colour, and apply! Simples!

Sounds, and is, really easy. Best of luck.

Bill

Archived