Hawksworth J18 sleeper underframe details

I'm currently working on an Ultima 2mm kit of a Hawksworth sleeper coach, and I'm looking for details of the equipment that sits in the centre of the coach underframe on the corridor side, as some sources show an LPG box, while some show a gas cylinder.

The Ultima kit comes with an LPG box part, and the instructions also describe it as such. The only contemporary photo I can find that shows the underframe in detail on the corridor side is of 9084 at the SVR, which also shows a box here: http://www.svr-rolli...k/GWR/9084.html

The Comet 4mm instructions show a gas cylinder in this place instead. More significantly, there are photos of the corridor sides of 9082, 9083 and 9085 in Russell Appendix 2, all of which show a cylinder, which looks to be about 7 foot long.

This would suggest that there was a variation between different J18 sleeper coaches, or that the cylinders were later replaced. Does anyone know what the answer is? If the latter possibility, does anyone know when they were replaced?

Archived