Locksound V4 Safe sound setting

loco

I know what the maximum available range is for setting sound volume on the V4.

However is it wise to set it too high, will it lead to overheating. Ive seen a few comments to this effect recently.

Generally what would you consider a safe max.

Thank You.

If you are using a standard ESU supplied speaker and the chip is correctly installed then there is no way that the chip will be compromised or damaged by use on full volume.

The loudness and the quality of the sound itself can be affected by the install far more than the volume setting. You just set the volume so that it gives sufficient for the layout location and the hearers' comfort.

Thanks David, exactly what i was hoping to hear.

But when i read the comments on the howes web site, i was a little unsure.

Incidentally, i have some with the original speakers, and others changed for base enhanced. But in all cases i only use one speaker.

Cheers

loco

I am under the impression you can get overheating problems if you use 2 speakers - either in series or in parallel. Is that impression correct?

Rod

From experience with the V3.5 Loksound, using 2 speakers in parallel results in a 50 ohm load on the chip amp. When using 2 speakers, It's advisable to turn down the master volume to around 45-50 via CV 63 to aviod possible overheating the decoder with resulting sound drop outs etc, as the thermal trip kicks in. Connection in series would result in a 200ohm load with a resulting loss of volume - over heating would not then be a problem, as the chips amp would be working easily within its limits.

The Loksound V4 uses a 4ohm speaker as supplied. If two speakers are required, 2 x 8ohm wired in parallel could be used, the volume being adjusted to suit, somewhere around 120-130 - the max being 192. Distortion quickly becomes apparent if you increase the volume too far.

HTH

Archived