Alberta Heritage Fund Hoppers

This may be something Canadian railways modellers are already aware of. Ready Train of Vancouver produce a set of transfers (decals?) for Alberta heritage fund hoppers."Take an Alberta break, visit ........" Enough transfers to do 3 hoppers, with the big ALBERTA logo, a variety of numbers, a variety of town names and markers for both CN and CP. Really good value and prompt service from Andy Wegmuller the proprieter. I am really happy with them. I think they were about C$12 a set plus postage. Check the site for accurate details.

I bought a set to decorate 3 Intermountain cylindrical (trough hatch)hopper kits that (of course ) come undecorated and unpainted. I got mine through Blueox2000 on e-bay. At about $14(US) a kit they are good value and good to build. Kadee couplers required and you may wish to replace the polythene trucks with Kadee trucks and wheel sets.

No connection with either company other than as a satisfied customer

Some links. http://www.readytrai...ges/decal1.html

http://www.intermoun...om/ho/hokit.htm

Hope this is useful

Armchair

I should have mentioned this in my first post on this subject. The decals are very good and detailed. However the carrier film is brittle and easily breaks up. I solved the problem with three thin coats of matt acrylic spray varnish and left them to dry for a few hours. This strengthened the carrier film and the transfers held together and were successfully applied without problems.

ACM

• 2 weeks later...

I built 2 of those kits and got so p***ed off with the walkway supports that I decided to just buy the rtr version. Oh, and contrary to the urban myth there is no correlation between the town names & whether the hopper is numbered ALPX or ALNX.

Mr C...isnt it as easy as alpx is cp alnx is cn?

ps Happy New Year

I think what Andrew is saying is that town names were not assigned in any methodical way to the 'Take an Alberta Break visit ...' slogans on the ALPX (CP) and ALNX (CN) cars - you can't tell from the town name whether the car will have ALPX or ALNX reporting marks.

I think what Andrew is saying is that town names were not assigned in any methodical way to the 'Take an Alberta Break visit ...' slogans on the ALPX (CP) and ALNX (CN) cars - you can't tell from the town name whether the car will have ALPX or ALNX reporting marks.

Exactly. There is however an ongoing rumour/myth/etc that they put the town names on the cars according to whether they were served by CN or CP. Total tosh. There are some towns that no longer have rail service. (Stavely, Claresholm, Cardston, etal)

For those interested in the history of the cars, they were built and paid for by the Alberta Heritage Trust Fund. Basically this is a big whack of cash the Alberta Government started salting away around 35 years ago from surplus oil & gas revenue. At the moment it sits at around $14billion CAD and according to their fact sheet has generated over $35billion, which has been used to pay for things like the fleet of grain cars, museums, etc without having taxpayers foot the bill.

A Happy New Year to you too Mr. H. How are things in the "other" London?

Archived