scale drawing books

• RMweb Gold

hi i have been ask what i would like for xmas and was thinking of some books on coaches and wagons for LNWR or/and MR with 4mm drawings so can scrach build some for my layout. not too botherd if they are new or not. all maybe one on locos would be nice too but not so important right now. have looked on net but can not seem to fined any that say they have the drawing in them.

i do have a very nice book THE PICTORIAL RECORED OF THE SOUTHERN LOCOMOTIES. by J.H.RUSSELL but no use for the BR(MR) fan is there any thing like this out there! for the LNWR/MR

There are the two LNWR Wagons volumes from Wild Swan which have many drawings and photographs; the drawings are not necessarily to 4mm scale but contain lots of information. The Midland is covered by the old OPC volumes - Midland Wagons volume 1 & 2 - these are out of print but will probably be findable by way of abebooks.com. There is also a four-volume Midland loco history by Essery and Jenkinson, and Ted Talbot's volume on LNWR locos. Lots of information out there!

Don't forget that most companies' wagons could and did end up anywhere on the network (I've seen a picture of one of the Manchester yards with 12 different companies reresented!) as most were common user so books on other companies' wagons could also be useful - JHR did 2 volumes on GWR wagons for example!

As people have said there is lots of stuff out there. There is the OPC(?) Carriage Drawings series, with one volume covering LMS stock and another covering NPCS which includes a lot of pre-grouping LMS companies, and don't forget that things like horseboxes could roam far and wide. There are 2 volumes of L&YR wagons from Wild Swan and Atlantic's L&YR locos, not forgetting Oakwood's L&YR drawings - the L&YR being amalgamated with the LNWR before grouping. Both Wild Swan and OPC have produced 2 volume sets of Midland coaches, one by Dow and the other from Jenkinson, and Atlantic have produced Jenkinson's LNWR Coaches, with lots of his drawings, and I think the LNWR Society has produced several, including West Coast Joint Stock and one on suburban coaches. Throw in North Staffordshire (Irwell and Oakwood) and the pre-grouping LNER contingent (GNR and GCR at least - Wild Swan again {Volume 1 of 4}) which could appear on MR/LNWR metals, not to mention Tourrett's GWR tome (+ the various southern companies that also made their mark {OPC series of 5 volumes) and you should have enough to keep modelling until next Christmas!

• RMweb Gold

well i have been on abebooks.com and will be ordering 4 books tonight. pictorial record of LNWR coaches the LNWR wagons also midland engines vol 2and3 tonight.

i have found planty more books which will have to be orderd at some point too, to do with all the other componeys but i can't seem to find any of the L&YR ones oakwood's L&YR drawings/L&YR wagons by wildswan and L&YR locos (atlantics)! you would not have the ISBN NO would you which would help to find them.

so hopefully in the new year i will have lots to read and planty to build in the cold nights ahead!

...and the pre-grouping LNER contingent (GNR and GCR at least - Wild Swan again {Volume 1 of 4}) which could appear on MR/LNWR metals...

Already touched on, the common use of wagons to boost efficiency starting late in the pre-group era, meant that the wagon stock was 'all mixed up' across the UK in terms build origin, and ever more so by the time of BR operation. Realistically, from the grouping sources the wagons you need are LMS group and constituents, then LNER group and constituents. That's 80% of the grouped origin freight stock. Garnish lightly with GWR builds, and season with just a pinch of SR. I frequently laugh at exhibitions especially at GWR and BR(WR) layouts, because of the wagon stock obsession. You would think that no GW built wagon ever left GW territory, and the wagon stock from elsewhere never entered...

• RMweb Gold

i have THE PICTORIAL RECORED OF THE SOUTHERN LOCOMOTIES and did know about the one for GWR locos and after looking on abebooks havee seen one for GWR wagons which i'll will

have to get just build one or two wagons from it if it's any thing like southetrn book. at the moment i am building 2 southern bogie utility van 54'11.5 and a 56' ones one with and one with out a

corridor just becuse i had the drawings really i don't think they would have been on the midlands lines but one never knows. so i am more then willing to build stock from other componys.

i just thought i would like to build some wagons to go with the Mercian's G1 0-8-0 which i am building also which may end up in LMS or LNWR coulors not sure which yet first

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

i have just got one of the books i ordered and thought i would have a go at building a couche i have found most of the bits i will need to finish the model but cant seem to find what i think are vents which are above some of the windows they come in two sizes any one know where i can get my hands on some

it will be and LNWR corridor brake comp if that helps

i have looked on 247 developments and at 51l but i am sure i have seen them some wher

Guest Natalie Graham

I think the LNWR Society has produced several, including West Coast Joint Stock and one on suburban coaches.

The West Coast Joint Stock one is an HMRS publication. The LNWR Society publish one on non-corridor coaches (excluding the thirty foot one inch stock) and a smaller earlier volume covering those thirty foot one inch vehicles. All three are excellent books.

• RMweb Gold

well i have some of the books now and have made start on some LNWR (WCJR) coaches i intend to build a 7 coache rake and maybe a 2 coache push pull set i hope to have at lest the 7 built befor the end of the year. diag 30,42 ,18 ,51 and 67 so should keep me going for a waile. what i was wondering dose any one know what is used in (plastic casting) if thats the trurm? i have done some casting when i have made some jewally but i dont know what is used for platic ie for the cast it self and the mould.

A reasonably common medium for castings in model railways is resin. You need a master like the finished part so that you can make a mould fron silicone rubber. Yo may be able to search for contributions form Phil Traxson (aka Port Wynnstay Models) of this parish as he makes the things and can advise you on materials.

Archived