free download small platelayers hut

• 3 weeks later...

Well guys don't know how you managed to download it,as I found the site a few weeks ago ,but have been unsucessful. Tells me to "select desired option using buttons below"

Only shows 4mm and cannot click on anything , tells me that there 11 left . Can download instructions but nothing else :scratchhead:

I have just downloaded it, but only after a couple of failures.

My default browser settings are secure (or perhaps I should say paranoid), and until I had accepted cookies (and enabled javascript) I couldn't make any progress either. Unfortunately the site gives no warning why it can't proceed (and there is a legal requirement to notify users about cookies, but the details of this are unclear, and it isn't expected to be enforced for a few months).

The download process for this freebie seems to be part of the main order-processing system, so you need to create a customer account, which appears rather US-centric with its mandatory "state/county" field. A copy of your password is then emailed to you in the confirmation (convenient, but means it may be retained in plain text rather than encrypted, which would not very secure against potential hackers), so it's probably worth making sure you don't use a password here which you use for important accounts elsewhere (like online banking...).

None of this should be taken as a serious criticism - anybody offering a nice freebie should be applauded. It's just a warning of a few things that might make it more difficult for those who would like to obtain it.

David

Well guys don't know how you managed to download it,as I found the site a few weeks ago ,but have been unsucessful. Tells me to "select desired option using buttons below"

Only shows 4mm and cannot click on anything , tells me that there 11 left . Can download instructions but nothing else :scratchhead:

Unfortunatly the free downloads cannot be separated from the whole website, and the checkout process has to be followed. A free link could be advertised, but then i would not know what traffic was taking the free download, and whether it was working as it should. If you were to look on that page the item you require is already highlighted, so you do not have to do anything apart from add it to your cart, and complete the free checkout process.

I downloaded the free signal box a while back without opening an account but I cant download the platelayers hut, I've downloaded the instructions though!

Michael

We do not offer a free signal box, so i do not know where you were.

I have just downloaded it, but only after a couple of failures.

My default browser settings are secure (or perhaps I should say paranoid), and until I had accepted cookies (and enabled javascript) I couldn't make any progress either. Unfortunately the site gives no warning why it can't proceed (and there is a legal requirement to notify users about cookies, but the details of this are unclear, and it isn't expected to be enforced for a few months).

The download process for this freebie seems to be part of the main order-processing system, so you need to create a customer account, which appears rather US-centric with its mandatory "state/county" field. A copy of your password is then emailed to you in the confirmation (convenient, but means it may be retained in plain text rather than encrypted, which would not very secure against potential hackers), so it's probably worth making sure you don't use a password here which you use for important accounts elsewhere (like online banking...).

None of this should be taken as a serious criticism - anybody offering a nice freebie should be applauded. It's just a warning of a few things that might make it more difficult for those who would like to obtain it.

David

Just to clarify a few things. The site is secure. The password is sent to you for your records. The Database entry is fully encrypted and non recoveralble by myself, the website owner. If i look in the database for passwords, which are only kept so you can log back in to the site, they are 25 characters long and a mix of lower and upper case letters and numbers. We had a few instances where customers requested this, so it was made so.

The site uses no third party tracking cookies, so there is no legal requirement to mention anything about cookies being used. Force cookie use has been removed as it was not required for normal operation of the store. Cookies are only used onsite to enable the site to function as a webstore should.

I have to say, I requested the download early on, but due to a computer crash at that time I was not able to download it! Is it possible to get another copy please?

Stewart

Just enter your account on the site, and free purchase another copy. there is no restriction to the number of times you can download the item.

Great little kit,

thanks for that :D

Thank you very much, its good to hear from someone who is grateful for a free item.

This particular download has now been downloaded over 625 times. People must appreciate the small simple kits. We do have a few more planned. Keep looking. If you signed up for an account on the website and agreed to accept the newsletter, you will of course find out when the next one will be released.

Just to clarify a few things. The site is secure. The password is sent to you for your records. The Database entry is fully encrypted and non recoveralble by myself, the website owner. If i look in the database for passwords, which are only kept so you can log back in to the site, they are 25 characters long and a mix of lower and upper case letters and numbers. We had a few instances where customers requested this, so it was made so.

The site uses no third party tracking cookies, so there is no legal requirement to mention anything about cookies being used. Force cookie use has been removed as it was not required for normal operation of the store. Cookies are only used onsite to enable the site to function as a webstore should.

Good to hear that the password is stored in encrypted form. Not important for me at this point, as I've only downloaded this freebie, but rather more significant for those who have paid through the site.

You may well be right that your usage of cookies is exempt from the requirement to obtain consent - I've not studied the law closely, and opinions seem divided on that point.

From a pragmatic perspective, I think that a warning that cookies need to be accepted (and any other requirements, typically javascript is required on such sites) would be useful, to avoid or at least reduce the "I can't download it" problems which can be seen in this thread.

David

• 1 month later...

sorry to hi jack, but is that a card SR plate layers hut 4DCC?

have been looking for one of these, cant seem to find one

No siree, it is a plastic kit. Peco from memory but readily available in most good stockists. Ten minutes to build and a lifetime to paint and weather

Archived