Which green for a southern CCT in 1955-60?

Fen End Pit

• RMweb Gold

Sorry for the dumb question, usually modeling ex-GER means I don't know too much about foreign wagons.

I've just rebuilt a Dapol ( see here ) to P4 and I'm guessing the luminous green probably isn't too accurate. I've just purchased Humbrol RC409 described as 'malachite green' see here and also RC410 'maunsell olive green' see here, Is either close? I'm guessing that the wagon will be fairly heavily covered in east London grime by the time I'm finished with it.

thanks for the advice.

David

As you suggest by your reference to grime, in that period it could be Southern Green, BR Crimson or Southern Region Green but you had to rub hard to find out as they were usually brown grime whatever was underneath. More so it always seemed than vans from other regions.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the advise.

I hope I've got this about right. It complements the Gresley full-brake rather nicely.

post-7212-12601076354346_thumb.jpg

Next up are a couple of Lima CCTs in maroon. These are going to be considerable more difficult as the solebars are hardly wide enough to get a Bill Bedford W-iron between.

David

I would agree with 10800 - the weathering needs to be much heavier. My understanding is that none of the pre-war SR 4 wheel vans were ever painted in Malachite (either pre or post war versions), and lingered into the 1960's in the pre- war green. They would not, in general, be urgent cases for repainting in Southern Region green, but that is not to say that none ever were. My own memories of these (and the SR bogie parcels stock) was that they were an almost uniform brownish colour because of the dirt and weathering that they acquired over the years. The first one that I saw in anything other than this browny shade was a newly painted vehicle in Rail Blue.

Ian

David

Not a dumb question at all, very difficult to know for your period. They would have been in a pre-nat green or, if repainted by BR, in Crimson. Although being brought up on the SR I certainly agree grey-black would be very suitable, this one taken much later than your period does show that they could be clean http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p46201310.html http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p46201319.html The comparison with the green of the Brush type 2 is interesting. Unfortunately these were on Agfa slide film and their colour rendition is not so accurate as Kodachrome (too expensive for a kid to buy) but I don't think the colour has gone off much with the passing years.

Paul

York

Archived