Yes! What the others said!! The beauty of flexible track is that you can make the trackwork flow. Yours is looking very promising. As for 'trial and error' ... well, all of my layouts have involved that very heavily! :lol:

Thanks griff.

I agree CJF's plan is masterful - it looks underwhelming until you've got it down and operational and like looking for a puzzle piece it all comes together. The trackwork into the platforms wasn't done properly before so I am pleased I spent more time on it when relaying occurred, also I had some help when forming the S Bends as its not a job you can easily do on your own although my 'assistant' got irritated that I kept running Mark I's back & forth to test clearances on the trackwork but it is worth it as two trains can pass without incident now.

I did a lot of research & mock-ups, even the original Minories plan I had was scaled back & altered somewhat but it really looks like it is going somewhere now. Going to enjoy writing the history & thinking of details to add in. I think there might be a running session of sorts tomorrow to give the models a good run & clean.

Cheers,

~ Gary

As the others here have said, the Minories plan is a good 'un! My Middlehurst branch on the old layout was based on a mirror-imaged Minories, with a double slip added to allow direct access to a turntable. It was a good layout to operate.

I am certainly enthusiastic about the layout.

Being made redundant has given me a lot of time to spare - however conversely not much funding for modelling activities so as per usual its a trade off. I've spent a lot of time looking for work (there isn't much round these parts) and getting generally treated like scum at the job centre which is disheartening to say the least.

I have however started to think about scenery, view blockers, shadow casters different things to make the layout more then just track in a box I haven't undertaken much work on the wiring yet as a Soldering Iron, wire & solder are all on the shopping list for the next time I go into town.

P1010460.jpg

This is intended to be the longest train on the layout; and most likely a diverted express to the coast or to the west. The location of the layout isn't set - I am intending it to be primarily an Eastern & Central section station but might run the odd Western section train as well just because I can. :D

P1010465.jpg

P1010467.jpg

P1010472.jpg

Please ignore the over scale Copydex and lack of 3rd Rail fittings this tunnel mouth is based on the shape of the one into Crystal Palace low-level station being less elliptical in shape then a normal 'steam era' tunnel - an alternative is using the tried & tested road over-bridge however I am intending to have a road bridge in the centre of the layout spanning the hinge units to aid in the suspension of disbelief.

P1010473.jpg

The only photo I could take; the bow will be sorted by supports to the platform holding the bridge up. inspiration for this is based loosely on Marylebone which is spanned by a bridge across the platforms - I am not sure of the effect really an idea I have is a Greenline Coach standing on a coach stand to re-enforce the 'London' location of the layout possibly having this bridge as one way. The bridge surface itself will be removable with the supports stuck on the platforms. Its still a very on-going project despite the track & bare boards stage of things one thing which I did very much like by the temporary bridge was the forced angle which made photography interesting for example:

P1010476.jpg

I really like this photo - its not that great in reality; slightly blurred, no scenery plus its of a workaday 2-EPB that will no doubt go on forever. But the angle of the shot and relative distance in the forced perspective I think has given it a 'semi life-like' view. The question is why is the EPB arriving wrong-road. :D

In other semi-related news the station Pilot has been decided being a joint section station there is the chance of one of three engines to be pilot, one being a Terrier, the other an Ivatt 2MT tank and the third is a ex SER R1 tank which has re-appeared from the depths of my modelling box to be resurrected. This example has been given a new chassis from a Railroad 3F which was surplus to requirements and has been on & off the chassis so many times over the last few days to check height & alignment it is untrue!

The loco was bought for a mere £5 from ebay and advertised as a P Class - later I found it was EM Gauge not 00 Gauge and later still the chassis which is an original Dublo one is damaged beyond repair so the substitution of a new chassis. The photos are very cruel and are intended to be:

P1010479.jpg

P1010481.jpg

P1010482.jpg

This engine I am thinking of having similar to the Liverpool Street Pilot - possibly in a Pre Grouping livery with a BR number painted on it either that or in a spotless BR Lined Black. I have several tasks for the model, firstly paint needs to be stripped off - I never painted it so it will be a challenge. Holes need filling, either a new chimney or some magic worked with filler the mounded handrails removed and replaced with wire, number plates & shed plate etc and a new paint job. Advice is welcomed as I progress I may arrange an infrequent blog or workbench to chart the progress. But I thought I would introduce the locomotive here as it is part of the Layout.

Thank you for being patient with my ramblings.

Cheers,

~ Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Hello & Good Evening,

Just a little update. Recently I have lost the 'Modelling Mojo' the layout has been simply gathering dust and I really haven't had the inclination to work on it at all. Today however I decided that as it was a free day why not have a good old-fashioned play and see if that will get things moving along - well that didn't happen either I was looking at platform locations using the Hornby platforms as a rough guide and then I started looking at conductor rail.

I digress but one thing led to another and I actually got round to laying my first length of con-rail. Not too shabby.

P1010502.jpg

Length laid, from the baseboard join on the near-most platform to the access point.

P1010501.jpg

Obligatory SR EMU posed shot

P1010500.jpg

Con-Rail in relating to pick-up shoe.

Not I'm not going to lie it was tricky in places but I kind of got into a rhythm working on two pots at a time. My approach was (because of a lack of a drill bit small enough) to bash a track-pin in the end of the sleeper (Hornby chunky style), retrieve it then pop the pot in, then slid the con-rail abit further along - simples! :D

Also this approach offered the opportunity to stop one task to do another rather then lots of boring repetition. Yes I did split a couple of sleeper - on the point as the plastic seems tougher but the splits aren't noticeable.

Not a massive update but I feel quite happy actually. Now I know I can lay the con-rail then I can pick areas to concentrate on and work on those. Plus I have been restraining myself from buying a 4-CEP, I may release the purse strings a little and indulge myself... its simply a question of livery at the moment.

Thanks to the inspiration from other Southern Electric layouts out there - it gave me some impetus to do something.

Cheers,

~ Gary

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gary,

Looks like you are making great progress. You seem to have 'nailed' the gentle sweeps of the curved track very well. Also good to see that you have started on the third-rail.

I can see this developing into a good looking layout, with plenty of atmosphere and operational interest.

Don't forget, if you want to come over to the club one Tuesday night, drop me a PM.

Hello,

Thanks for the comment. I like the curves as well - however laying the first piece of 3rd Rail has solved as many problems as it has created. :D

Namely the position of the con-rail, is it better on the right or the left, how to deal with the points etc. I know the basic rules of where it should go but its just that horrible 'what if I make a howling error and dont know' mentality, at least the trusty EPB is helping show me where it would be 'gapped' if it was in 12" : 1' scale. So far I have decided that the pilot loco siding will be unelectrified - its too short to fit a MU or even a MLV in comfortably so the layout will see a Steam or Diesel pilot for the foreseeable future - which is fine still allows for an ED or a Class 33, Class 08&09 or steam locomotives.

The crossover at the buffer end of the platforms I am not sure on if I should have it electrified or not - its slightly ironic I lived in 3rd Rail land most of my life... six months away so far and I realise how little attention I paid. :D

You most likely will receive a PM; visiting a club with like-minded individuals sounds good. Never been to a club before.

Cheers,

~ Gary

Hello & Welcome,

Its been a lovely day today hasn't it (yeah right...) Being in the doldrums somewhat I have been continuing with the layout - laying more 3rd Rail and working out the scenery arrangements. Now in the future there is the possibility that the layout will be converted from its terminus to fiddleyard configuration to a through station either with two fiddleyards or as part of a larger roundy-roundy design. Trying to get the scenery planned has been a headache as anything I have thought of has simply not been good enough - or doesn't look right, etc. One concept I do want to introduce is shadows to the layout for example say station lighting - I want the lights under canopies to be there for a reason & not just to look pretty. I want it to add to the ambience and I have been scratching my head on how to do something like this in a subtle way.

So today I have mocked up - with the use of some very ancient Hornby accessories I found in the bottom of my 'bits box' a few more platforms, couple of canopies & a booking hall and I have been really trying to sort things out and get a station that not only looks alright but feels the part as well. So a quick recap of todays events, the proposed concorse at the end of the platforms has been done away with and the tracks on the middle and rear platforms extended to the end of the base board. A temporary Plasticard raft has been knocked up to simulate a bridge over the line, and the frontmost/bay platform will be shortened so it finishes abutting what would be a supporting wall to the raft.

Piccies:

P1010519.jpg

P1010511.jpg

P1010510.jpg

All temporary mock-ups at the moment I need to refine my building skill - but it is surprisingly effective and gives the impression in the flesh of a 'station' I do think it will need to be raised up somewhat when the final raft gets built - despite being at the 6cm height above running rail level things look a little tight to my eyes. The idea is that the rear of a station building will sit on the raft and staircases come down to platform level - which are in cutting and have retaining walls. There is some sort of atmosphere developing I think, although more of an outer suburban terminus rather then a central London one.

P1010521.jpg

More 3rd Rail added

I was very fortunate that I got a new toy to play with - and my first item of Blue & Grey stock. I debated for quite some time but decided that the 4-CEP in overall green just didn't look right - perhaps the silver window frames, or the orange curtains that just clashed I dunno. But its a lovely runner I am quite pleased. Now I did have a play today and made a short video: (its hosted on photobucket I've never used them before)

th_BishopsPark1.jpg

I love the clickity-clack from the wheels on the joins - sorry about the quality it was taken on my digital compact and isn't really designed for videos. Also the EPB's pick-up shoes impress me every time watching them pass on & off the ramps - brilliant.

Thank you for checking out the layout and I had better get back to laying some more 3rd Rail.

Cheers,

~ Gary

It is interesting that you did that, Gary, as I did much the same thing with my old 'Minories' inspired branch. I had it as a truncated line (Beeching??) with some ballasted sleepers extending past the buffer stops to indicate that the line did go further once upon a time. I also had the idea that it could be extended at some time in the future, or perhaps for exhibition use with a second fiddle yard added. None of these things actually happened, though!

Good Morning,

I think the idea of raising the station buildings & running the lines underneath was originally born from my idea of having some sort of bridge across the line in the middle where the hinge units are. However the bridge abutments & supporting pillars in this location would have had to be substantial to hold the building up and the platforms extend onto the right hand board, visions of narrow catwalk platforms sprang to mind here. But it does make an effective scenic break at the 'dead' end of the layout. This morning the shadows were such that it looked like my 4-CEP had burst out from under the station and was photographed running through the station - perhaps my imagination is running away with me on this one... :)

I do think however that shades of my old 'local' station seem to be coming through - rather accidentally in fact. take a look at this photo of Putney station in South West London, place your hand over the left most line & platform and tell me what you see. I've literally just noticed this uncanny similarity, fascinating. I am very into photography and as I said the idea of shadows & darkness I find very appealing in taking snaps as it makes them more moody. For example the buffer stops under the raft I am thinking would have little red LED's on them to indicate the end of the line - as in most termini, and the idea of the lights standing out in the dark tunnel looks good in my minds eye. If the layout is extended the starting signal will look equally at home under the raft.

I have also been considering a name, more of a generic name then specific geography. Plus being a Fulham boy at heart I think I have settled on 'Bishops Park' named notionally after the part of the same name in Hammersmith & Fulham - but is also generic enough to not really be noticed by anyone and has shades of the South-Eastern side of London where other 'park' stations seem to reside.

An order for more insulator pots is on the way I only have 30 left enough for a few more lengths of 3rd rail. :D

Cheers,

~ Gary

• 1 month later...

Hello and welcome back to Bishops Park!

Yes I've settled on the name; and more importantly actually done some more work on the layout - don't be too excited I have simply been adding more 3rd Rail to the station throat and I believe it is complete. I've run my 2-EPB backwards & forwards many times and noted the position of the shoes in relation to the Conductor Rail & if the unit is gapped and am pleased to report on behalf of the P-Way Department that all is well.

That being said there might be more rails required - Ironic as it is however many years in 3rd Rail land and I never paid that much attention to it. :D

Onwards:

P1010580.jpg

P1010576.jpg

P1010577.jpg

Current state of play at the end of the day. Not much in the way of progress however still something. The left-hand board is much easier to do being mainly straight track its part of the reason I attempted the right board/station throat first. The pilot siding/dock road is unelectrified I am undecided on this at the moment it would be fine providing I am using steam or Diesel power however would mean I could not use a class 71 as pilot or that stabling a potential MLV in the siding could be problematic.

If there are any suggestions for additions or criticisms I am happy to hear them - I have been working from memory & photos so I might not be correct in conductor rail placement. Furthermore I have been looking and thinking about scenery - a plan I am considering following is using Scalescenes items to make up a lengthy retaining wall and platforms for the station as well as replacing my bodged mock-up tunnel mouth. So stay tuned for that butchery as & when it happens I am awaiting a trip out to purchase some card to do a test run with. As for the wiring still no change the left-hand board is only powered using 'jumper' leads from Hornby. I am still debating the pros & cons of DCC vs DC and also how in the heck am I going to get power across the gap and still have the boards folding up into a box.

What have I got myself into... :D

Cheers,

~ Gary

Hi Matloughe,

I'm really pleased to see his back - I've been looking out for it.

I'm trying to achieve something with a folding baseboard from a design in a CJF book so this is really inspiring to me. Mind you, if you think your progress is slow, mine is glacial!

Keep up the good work (and don't forget to share your progress here).

All the best,

Rob.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again!

Gosh has it really been nearly a month since my last update - several things have happened to contribute to this. Firstly my PC (Bertha) had a sudden case of spontaneous combustion and sadly after reclaiming usable parts has been consigned to the scrapyard in the sky. I have had to buy a new tower which has taken like three weeks to build and sort out but am finally back to my normal pace of work.

Some more modelling related news today has seen the final completion of the wiring up after examining the fine work of others at the RMWeb Members day plus with some encouragement from members there I started and finished it in the space of about three hours. I just had one of those 'Balls to it' moments after lunch today and took out the soldering Iron and started work. The good news is after wiring up the layout worked first time in DC and perfectly in DCC Mode as well - which is fantastic. Being wired for DCC the layout can operate in DC 'One Engine in Steam' principle.

Some Photos (They aren't exciting)

P1010003-1.jpg

P1010001.jpg

Wiring, tidying up & documenting still required

P1010004.jpg

Trusty M7 testing the layout

A downside however is I need to start obtaining chips for stock to test it thoroughly. There was some stalling however I think this was due to the filthy track work which will be cleaned properly. I'd like to say thanks to those who have inspired me to get on with it.

Cheers,

~ Gary

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good Afternoon,

I'd just like to say to both Richard & Ray above that seeing your fantastic layouts at Taunton has inspired me to 'get on with it' - I mean what's the worst that can happen, it wont work right? :D

Not too much progress on that layout that has occured, I found a sprue of unused insulating pots so am adding a few more short lengths of con-rail where I think they should go at junctions I am taking abreak from that at the moment to post on here as the fiddly bits & poly cement has made my eyes strain a little bit too much resulting in a headache - still its an excuse to have a cuppa and plonk down a couple of trains for a quick play and post on here.

Thankfully I can report that my 2-EPB that was most uncooperative is now running sweet as a nut under DCC - my only regret is that I don't have another one to work in multiple together. Some thought has been going towards scenery I have the Scalescenes retaining wall kit - however my printer ran out of ink after one 'go' so I am using the walls as a mock-up rather then going the whole hog. I am considering the platform kit as well - the walls here have been mounted on 5mm thick brown card which is rather nice & strong however is a little excessive for use in a platform... What I was thinking is using layers of this card to build up the base and then using thinner card (or plastikard) for the sides & surface of the platform adding the Scalescenes platform decoration over the top - I think it'll provide a nice supporting structure that will be quite light weight-wise.

P1010024.jpg

2-EPB at the 'stops' awaiting the next departure

P1010591.jpg

Using paper mock-ups as a backdrop

I am unsure of the signal box in all honesty - its a Hornby Skaledale one and to me it looks a little out of place, I know some London Suburban stations retained pre-grouping signal boxes well into the modern era. Mitcham being one of them - but I can't help thinking that a 'Glasshouse' or Kent Coast or even a wartime 'Austerity' box might be better suited to the location. I'd like others thoughts on this; also please note the Terrier is not DCC it is simply 'plonked' for a photo while the power was off - I have looked on the Hornby Website and the idea of chipping the loco is frankly quite daunting to me at the moment.

Also I managed to get a bargain engine on eBay, £54 for a brand new BR Black Schools Class 'St Lawrence' from Rails - can't wait for it to arrive just need some Carmine & Cream Maunsell set and it can be a pre-electric Hastings Line train. Exciting! :D

Cheers,

~ Gary

Hello Gary

I've only just come across your thread, great stuff!

Having lived in a thrid rail area for over thirty years I have a a real soft spot for the old EMU's. Your persistance with the third rail is paying off, it looks great in the pictures, and I'm sure it will wether well.

The level of planning you have put in has paid dividends - I wish I had applieid your amount of forethought to my layout from an early stage!

Watching with interest,

Les

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gary,

Looks like you are making good progress - The third rail looks tricky but its certainly paid off - it looks excellent.

Really like the picture of the 2-EPB at the stops - ahhh the beauty of dcc - stationary with the lights on!

Regards,

James

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gary,

Great to see that you are making progress.

The EPB is a nice model, yet would look out of place on Orchard Road (no third-rail)!

I will pm you about the Exeter show in June ..

Thank you for your kind comments - I've been jumping through hoops for a job recently been to about three interviews for the same position only to be told that I wasn't 'qualified' for the position despite working in a higher position in retail for over six years...

Needless to say its very nice coming on here and seeing some kind words for my rather shoddy construction, for the moment planning is all I can really do scrounging bits of Card to make mock-ups. I've settled on an 'Austerity' box based on Dean Hill near Salisbury which was erected in 1946 I believe so although not literally a pillbox it has a very basic square design which will be relatively easy to replicate. I have also decided to have a go at an old idea that surfaced in my mind - there is a quote from an earlier post:

P1010473.jpg

The only photo I could take; the bow will be sorted by supports to the platform holding the bridge up. inspiration for this is based loosely on Marylebone which is spanned by a bridge across the platforms - I am not sure of the effect really an idea I have is a Greenline Coach standing on a coach stand to re-enforce the 'London' location of the layout possibly having this bridge as one way. The bridge surface itself will be removable with the supports stuck on the platforms.

One thing I am not happy about is the fact that the join can be seen in the boards and its not easily 'hideable' so some work with some 5mm Card and PVA Glue resulted in this:

P1010031.jpg

P1010033.jpg

As I've said its all very much in the 'planning' stage. I had some night-time photography last night on the layout which worked out quite nicely. I also have an idea forming in my head over the layout and how it has developed 'historically' for example the current thinking is that the line was built as a 'cut off' in South-West London providing generally suburban services with the odd mainline run. During the war the line had strategic value by moving military trains and because it was generally below ground in cuttings relatively easy to conceal the movement of troops and munitions (the line potentially links to the West London Line) however during the war the line was bombed with the signal box being destroyed and latterly the line beyond Bishops Park which is in tunnel was also hit and the tunnel collapsed.

Being wartime the tunnel was shored up & sealed 'for the duration', post war engineers decided the tunnel was too unsound to repair and simply filled it up with hardcore and sealed the portal relegating Bishops Park to being the terminus station we see today. Sounds plausable...? Of course one day engineers might have new methods for shoring up the tunnel and the line may re-open but for now it is closed.

A few more photos including the obligatory 2-EPB which is becoming synonymous with this thread I think.:D

P1010034.jpg

P1010036.jpg

P1010038.jpg

The new Schools Class - Its lovely. I really want a Class 33 as well I have a list of locos I want and its only getting longer. And last by not least my experiments with some night-time photography.

P1010029.jpg

P1010030.jpg

I hope I haven't bored anyone too thoroughly and that things are progressing - if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd be glad to hear them - in this hot weather doing some modelling inside is nice however does play havoc trying to get the glue to set. Richard I will get back to you shortly - I have had a bit on my plate but you will receive a PM shortly.

Cheers,

~ Gary

Archived