GWR C75 window size

I am seeking info on the window size of C75 non-corridor thirds. Based on

photos, I can see that the 1937 builds of D125 and E157 used deeper windows than

on the preceding 1935 series of D117 and E147. This window size change reflecting what had happened on the corridor stock.

However, based on the single photo I have seen (in Russell), the C75s built in 1937 seem to have the same

sized windows as C66. This is borne out by Comet models issuing a single side

etch for both diagrams. I presume this was Swindon using up their stock of the earlier windows.

Can anyone confirm this, and whether the 1939 lot of C75s also retained the same

high waist appearance?

Chrus

Vol 2 of John Lewis's book on auto trailers gives some clues. Some C66s and C75s were converted to non-driving trailers in 1953 for use in South Wales. Most unusually, the learned John gets a bit confused between the two diagrams: indeed, he admits as much by referring to "A41 or A42" in captions to photographs. There are drawings on page 109 of both types labelled with the A series diagram numbers - A41 and A42 - given to the conversions but IMHO the numbers are attached to the wrong drawings. This is backed up by close examination of the vehicle numbers under each drawing. From all this I deduce that the windows of the C75s are 6 inches deeper than those of the C66s and have a more curved body profile than the C66s, for which the description "high waisted" is apt. I would say that the Comet kit is a hybrid, with the windows of the C66 and the profile of the C75.

Chris

Archived