Upbech St Mary

mullie

For the RM challenge in 2011 I built two additional modules for the layout one of which was only rarely used so today I decided to 'recycle' it. I always do this and I think some of the scenic items I own have been on 3 or 4 layouts! A Wills pillbox, some farmyard junk and all the bushes and greenery were recycled. The track was not such a success despite me wetting it to release the PVA and the point that had already been shortened to fit the layout was beyond saving. However ,being a small layout not to much has been lost and again the point came off an early incarnation of Pott Row I believe so I've had may money's worth. The main reason to do it today was to try and save the sleeper built platform for reuse but this had been built up in sections and again couldn't be saved. Again no great financial loss and a new one is easy to build if I wish for the reformatted layout. Photos below show recycling in progress, first, the removal of scenic items:

post-12773-0-56126900-1353840478_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-79518100-1353840526_thumb.jpg

Last one shows the remains of the platform and the bare boards

post-12773-0-01579900-1353840600_thumb.jpg

Rest will go to the tip, need to go today anyway because it is currently too windy to l leave recycling out for collection, still at 500 ft above sea level at the top of a hill at least we shouldn't get flooded.

I think any plans for a new layout are going to have to wait, after all this is my second layout. My work schedule is quite horrendous at the moment and the thought of starting from scratch on a new project doesn't fill me with much enthusiasm at the moment, a month or so ago it was very different. I'm making small and measurable progress on Pott Row and enjoying operating the layout.

Thoughts today turned to how to adapt this layout and make it quite different and perhaps be able to vary stock and era. Last night I was looking at Canada Road/ Street. Although I can never dream of modelling to that kind of standard the flexible approach taken could work with this layout although this layout is obviously very rural in nature. The layout is based on 'Carl's Exports' and the principle of the track plan is such a sound one that without a lot of effort I'm not sure with the current time available I could better the principle.

So today I extended a second road into the fiddle yard so the layout could actually function as a junction with trains arriving and then being shunted prior to moving off down the 'branch.' My original fiddle yard allowed this, only this time I've inserted a piece of plain SMP track as this better matched against the Peco track it needed to join to. I may not put in a passenger station as this could clearly identify a region, my class 121 could visit on a special.

I really need to make up my mind. The buildings seen in the previous posts are all stored carefully as they have been for some years and I still plan to build a layout for them one day. Below is a photo of iffy quality showing the extension made today, not very exiting but this could significantly improve operating potential still further.

post-12773-0-85295300-1353787807_thumb.jpg

I can build urban layouts, the layout featured below is Leyton Street built about 10 years ago and featured in Carl Arendt's third book. Time to do it again I think. This one lived on top of a wardrobe so you could only look at eye level!

post-12773-0-66452300-1353788872_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-91099100-1353789039_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-81438500-1353789055_thumb.jpg

I can also do rural bleakness!

post-12773-0-87538000-1353789081_thumb.jpg

This is Pott Row mark 2, very different!

A good night for armchair modelling after a very long week at work. Had one last go with the urban buildings but couldn't make it work visually so the rural approach will be maintained. I think I will pursue the idea of a multi purpose layout that can be used in a variety of guises. Inspiration has come from looking at photos of the Bridport branch in Dorset during its final days.

The platform has been removed from its current position and a platform will be put in where the timber goods depot currently sits and will be based on the Wills halt as I already have some parts acquired years ago. An additional pack has been ordered so it can be built to fit the site. Not sure how I will work the signalling as they clearly show a layouts region. The piece of track added last week works well so the junction idea seems to work.

The garage was freezing tonight so I wasn't tempted to go out there. The advantage of this layout is that it is in the warm.

The multi functional idea is currently being tested. The video below shows a class 121 entering from the branch and running to where the passenger platform will be once I've built it, possibly from Wills parts. After a suitable pause it then reverses and runs off to the other side of the fiddle yard or back to the main line. This gives an idea how the layout could be operated and freight stock could be re-marshalled for a similar journey, perhaps using a card system. You can also see that buildings have been removed and the passenger platform that was never really used has gone and left a hole in the back scene that will need covering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce1qj-2ovho

At the moment two J70s are sat on the layout with some fruit vans so a Wisbech and Upwell theme is in evidence. I want to use the layout to reset some CVs as being Spud powered they are a bit lively and it's cold in the garage where Pott Row is!

Next job, renovate the scenery and hide the fiddle yard exit.

Been using the layout to tweak the CVs on the J70s. There is some really helpful advice on the DCC Concepts site about adjustments to speed that could be really helpful in taming the Spuds greyhound tendencies and early results appear promising. The photos below show how the layout could look in Wisbech and Upwell guise with a J70 about to leave with a short fruit train.

post-12773-0-06517700-1354466746_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-67488300-1354466820_thumb.jpg

Really struggling to get things done at the moment, so annoying as there are lots of jobs that need doing including finishing the paint job on the J70s. I will also consider how to improve the back scene for this layout so every photo is not framed by the lids.

• 3 weeks later...

After weeks with no progress I finally cleared the layout ready for its latest incarnation. Essentially the idea is that the layout should have few if any defining features that can't be changed so I can vary the stock, main difficulty will be signals as these clearly identify a region. Over Christmas it will be stocked as a west country layout as I have become interested in the Bridport branch in its final years, an area I know well. I already have a class 121 and have built a small halt using Wills parts. The photo below shows the layout having been stripped of most of its buildings and alterations being made to the land form using DAS modelling clay. I plan to buy new road vehicles to bring the layout into the mid to late sixties although Land Rovers go on for ever and that series one in the photo could be any time from late 40s to date! 

post-12773-0-40500200-1356288004_thumb.jpg

Upbech has always been built on a tight budget, essentially using whatever lives in the spares boxes. The one tihng it hasn't had is dedicated stock as that has always been borrowed from Pott Row. This is no longer a satisfactory situation so with the decision to rebuild the layout and like many; having been totally inspired by the £100 layout thread I decided to see what I could pick up second hand although I have no specific budget and I already have the locos.. The photo shows a pair of Lima CCTs, three Hornby mineral wagons, a pair of Airfix five plank wagons and a GWR brake van. There is also a Bachmann LNER brake van.

post-12773-0-81859700-1356694240_thumb.jpg

I spent about £40 in total. In fact this too much stock for the layout so I will have to decide if anything can be adapted for Pott Row. This layout will now be operated using tension lock couplings so that will preclude interchange of stock between layouts. There will be up to two 08s (both needed due to lack of run round)  and a class 121 once the halt is finished. Last photo shows the new order. Layout really needs a new name as Upbech St Mary is very East Anglian sounding and I don't want something quite so specific.

post-12773-0-43467400-1356694279_thumb.jpg

The hopper wagon is an ancient Mainline model bought in about 1978!

Made some progress on the station halt today, still some finishing off to do and the metal work at the front still needs toning down but I think it's starting to look OK.  Halt is an extended Wills model using parts from another one I bought years ago.

post-12773-0-08584100-1356795542_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-93271100-1356795567_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-52982500-1356795591_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-43037500-1356795617_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

After playing around with various ideas I couldn't get happy with any revisions and so decided to scrap the layout after nearly five years of development. Truth is that with Pott Row now needing more stock the layout couldn't be worked successfully with just one shunter and the stock I have so I felt it would be better to start again and develop a layout specifically with the various items of stock I have purchased in mind. I also want to use some of the various urban buildings I have stored in boxes some of which are shown in earlier posts.At the moment I'm not sure which direction to go in; I have a baseboard already built for a another shelf layout but I'm also tempted to see what I can do with my youngest daughters train set track consisting of second and third radius curves, a few straights and three points. My micro layouts are always built on minimal budget using what ever is around so budget is never an issue as there isn't one! A micro is just a light hearted diversion from my main layout and a test track would be useful.

First photo shows the box files ready for final trip to the recycling centre, everything reusable is taken off. The Wills ground frame is now 14 years oldand has been saved for reuse. Behind it is daughters drum kit!

post-12773-0-20744900-1358606314_thumb.jpg

The gap left by absence of layout. This will of course need filling although anything built must be portable as this is the guest room.

post-12773-0-03834100-1358606338_thumb.jpg

All luggage clips, switches etc. were reclaimed for future use

post-12773-0-78137100-1358606427_thumb.jpg

There is no going back as the layout is gone. The garage is freezing at the moment so I don't spend a lot of time out there but I will brave it today as I enjoy running trains so it is a price worth paying.

Mullie,

Know how you feel; you realise that it ain't working and no amount of messing around will fix it - scrapping is the only answer - did the same with Danemouth Mk 1!

Taking my time with Mk2 to avoid the same mistakes again,

Good luck with Pott Row,

Dave

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Enclosed are the most recent photos of the layout as recently revised:

The 08 shunter seen in the photos is an older Bachmann model picked up cheap on Ebay. It has been fitted with new pickups and the damaged cab handrails replaced, just waiting to be renumbered and weathered. Eventually it will be DCC fitted but I am currently running the layout with a Guagemaster combi, nice and simple!

attachicon.gifUpbech overall view.JPG

attachicon.gif08 on siding.JPG

An old Ian Kirk van body grounded and weathered.

attachicon.gifGrounded van.JPG

Coopercraft truck awaiting departure from the yard.

attachicon.giftruck 2.JPG

The two remaining shots show the yard area

attachicon.gifYard 2.JPG

attachicon.gifYard 3.JPG

Totally, utterly delightful !

Archived