S&D based 'B - set' (s)

After the Western Region take-over of the line at least one B-set was transferred for use on the line, one being based (so I'm led to believe) at Templecombe. Does anyone have details as to set/coach numbers? We have pics of one set at Blandford but unable to identify the numbers.

I've found a number of 1961 & 1962 pictures of a B set (2 Brake coaches, Hornby/Mainline/Airfix type in lined maroon) on Highbridge-Templecombe services, so I'm guessing that your Blandford picture is of one on the Bailey Gate 'milky' as a 'Highbridge set' was used on this service.

Around the same time, there were also some 2 coach 'Highbridge sets' formed of other WR suburban coaches (one Brake and one non-Brake, that's all I can make out and I'm not a WR coach expert). Judging from the way the coaches were marshalled (position of the Brake compartment) and degree of tumblehome I would say that there were at least 3 of these on the S&D in 1962.

I've found a 1963 picture showing suburban Brake Composite W6284W (faded lined maroon) at Highbridge, and a 1959 shot of suburban Brake Composite W6561W (unlined crimson) at Evercreech Junction. Neither of these are the RTR type unfortunately. If you'd like picture references I'll give them.

One other point, I seem to recall an article in one of the magazines about the RTR B set coaches. I think it was something like ..... the 2 coaches should be slightly different. One of them needs a window to be blanked out on the RHS at the brake end. I can't remember if there was anything else, but I'm sure someone will know.

W6561W was an E129 built in 1926 and condemned in 1961. It originally formed a B set paired with 6563 as Bristol division set 11. The second coach is not visible in the photo at Evercreech Jn in July 1959 in Somerset & Dorset Sunset, p60. Comet do an E129 kit..

Another photo on p73 of the same book shows an E140 or E145 B set at Burnham but the numbers are not visible. This is the Airfix/Hornby RTR type, the only difference between the diagrams is that E140 had 7' bogies, E145 had 9'. The window problem thet Combe Martin mentions is that the small window in front of the guard's door on the right hand side (with van end to rear) needs to be filled in on both coaches of a pair. The one on the left hand side is correct.

I've no idea what 6284 was, I must have missed it when scanning through the list in Harris.

Whilst there are a number of other photos of B sets, mostly on the branch, I can't recall any others where the numbers are visible.

Nick

6284 was a Hawksworth brake composite, diagram E167.

Chris

Thanks, Chris, I'd hoped you would find this sooner or later. Somehow I missed the very end of Harris' list. Russell's Appendix stops at E166. Apparently it was part of the very last GWR series lot for coaches, built in October 1954. Harris also notes It would originally have been paired with 6285 as Plymouth area set 5.

Nick

• 4 weeks later...

I've just found another picture of a numbered B set coach on the S&D. It's on page 146 of 'Legends of the Somerset & Dorset Raiway' by Alan Hammond, and shows W6759W in lined maroon (it's black & white) at Burnham. It's not the Airfix/Mainline/Hornby type as it dosn't have the recessed guards door, and unfortunately is undated, but can't be later than 1962 as it's hauled by 43682.

According to Harris, 6759 was an E147 of Lot 1550 (36 coaches) completed 3/10/1936, the majority of which were formed into B sets. This was the last lot of this flat-ended type with no recess for the guards door that ere built between 1931-6. They were the next generation of B sets after the E140/E145 types of the Airfix/Mainline/Hornby type.

Russell (Appendix vol 1) shows a couple of sets 6785/6, Llanelly No 4 set, and 6755/6, Truro No 1 set and notes that E147s were condemned in December 1963.

Nick

Archived