RMweb

Class 325 Royal Mail unit in EM

Half way with using some pushmoulds for the suspension between the bogie side frame and the axle bearing, 24 needed.

Using squadron putty and so far not too bad...

Really a bit too small to take a pic of...

Next Up inner connection beams...

post-7587-0-64268400-1339798528_thumb.jpgpost-7587-0-05085400-1339798564_thumb.jpg

I would say buffer beam, but they avent got any!

There are two sizes seemingly with the PTMV's having a much deeper plate..this is one for a TAV, all cut just need gluing into place.

Edited by Ian Fisher
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just been doing some shopping for another sort of Royal Mail Train...and very happily came across Hurst's 91/325 LWB panotgrapgh as being in stock..so would be rude not to flex my flexible friend. I could be awash in Post trains!

Just had an update email the parcel is despatched and on its way! Efficient or what! Two hours later

Edited by Ian Fisher

Also hopefully within the consignment will be some of the door opening lights retro fitred to mark two and mark three stock.

The "lights" come moulded in translucent orange, I need them to be blue!

I have some opaque blue acrylic from a aeromodelling project so will try if this gives the effect I require, touch the sides with a shiny metallic colour and it could provide the detail that is just so fine and defining.

An item of myth and legend, I am now the owner of a Hurst LWB pantograpgh kit! Ok I need another two but at least im a 1/3 of the way there.

Having only ever heard of them and having talked to Andrew Hurst about them, the other nights quick perusal of his site showed one as being in stock.

post-7587-0-39174400-1379669385.jpg

The other parts being the door opening lights with a 325 they are located in the place of a door open warning, but as I understand they contain a blue shade, they are part of a system to see if anyone is in the coach.

post-7587-0-58299900-1379669400.jpg

Edited by Ian Fisher
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Having thoughts on motors and such like again, and having had success on ebay for some 150 bodies for something else the thought hit me at using as CWJ did the gubbins from a few 150's such as motor lights etc in the 325's, makes for a cost effective way of getting lights and motor and loads of other bits and bobs, the older first release chassis block wont matter a jot as it is hidden and will add much grunt!

Also keeping an eye on Hurst website for a new batch of LWB pantographs..only need two more 91/325 ones and I can get em all done at roughly the same time!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

... some 150 bodies for something else the thought hit me at using as CWJ did the gubbins from a few 150's such as motor lights etc in the 325's, makes for a cost effective way of getting lights and motor and loads of other bits and bobs, the older first release chassis block wont matter a jot as it is hidden and will add much grunt!

I agree. Purchase 2 new 150s for my 2 Bratchell 319s for £53 each. As far as I can see it's the best way to provide weight for a single car (maybe the chassis off cuts can be used in other cars), a strong all wheel drive and pick up motor, a light kit, plus some spare bodies that hopefully can be sold on and some spare under frame bits to help detail my Hornby Class 153.

I fancied a challenege...and then the real ones mainly work as 12 car sets so erm...I got me hands to the bottom of my pockets and sent me pennies off!

Current state of play is reflected in the thread..they are getting closer to being looked at again as my step-gradnson likes em!

thanks for directing me to your thread - love the 325's

nice work so far where about are you now would it be too much to ask for a few pictures of what they look like now

also how come you are making 3?

I fancied a challenege...and then the real ones mainly work as 12 car sets so erm...I got me hands to the bottom of my pockets and sent me pennies off!

Current state of play is reflected in the thread..they are getting closer to being looked at again as my step-gradnson likes em!

very true about the 12 car formations - well i hope they turn out great which from what i can see they will! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Would others be interested in some shells?

Would be interesting to see how you tackle the mould making process Ian!

I tried resin casting the entire vehicle sides & rooves of my 377 Electrostars but couldn't find a good way of making a large enough rubber mould that didn't sag or change shape - will be interested if you find a way around this, very best of luck!! :)

• 1 year later...