Hornby LMS Compound

I wonder if anyone has found a solution to a problem I have with my elderly Hornby LMS Compound 4-4-0. This runs very smoothly - and incredibly fast, but for some reason the loco is "pushed sideways" all the time by the tender drive and hence runs slightly skewed to one side of the track so much so that the cylinders foul my platform edges! There does seem to be a lot of "slop" in the wheels though they otherwise appear OK - is there a cure for this? Other than buying the new loco drive model...

Colm Flanagan

I don't have this model, but I suspect the skewing is made worse because the tender is pushing the loco.

I have a couple of kit built 4-4-0s [loco drive] and a 4-4-2T all of which originally had similar problems. The front bogies are now mounted on fixed pins with the hole in the bogie centre slotted to allow the bogie just enough side play to take the corners. This enables the bogie to actually guide the front of the loco. I found it necessary to fit a light spring to put enough weight on the bogie to stop it derailing.

Edited. Just checked; the 4-4-0 tender locos don't have any side play in the bogie, but it is free to rotate on the pin. Only the 4-4-2T needed the hole slotted.

Jeremy

Archived