switches

Help! I am trying to find push to make push to break illuminated switches to isolate my fiddle yard roads to illuminate when the road is live I have bought 2 different ones from rss one for 250 ac which isolates the circuit but i can't get the light to work ( prob cos I'm using 12v dc ) and another which is for 12v dc with an led but I can't get the led circuit to work I should point our at this point that I an electronically illeterate

could someone point me in the direction of a suitable switch thanks

Hi Jim, I suspect the 12v DC switches you have are fine, they are probably the wrong way round. LEDs are diodes so will only work one way round.

Do you mean that the switch contains the LED? Or is the LED seperate?

the switch contains the led there are 4 prongs i guess 2 for the circuit to be switched and 2 for the led i have tried feeding the power both ways and still can't get it to light

• RMweb Gold

Having had a look at the LED switches available on RS I suspect I was right - if you've put 12v through a LED then it will be blown.

They typically operate at 2 - 3v and require a resistor to reduce the supply to a suitable level.

I guess the old fashioned approach would be to use toggle switches, up for on and down for off. Said with tongue in cheek - Regards Ray

You're quite right Ray but I just wanted to get a bit closer to a modern panel system I have managed to get the point indicators to work using peco microswitches and grain of wheat bulbs so i can see which way the point is set this just seemed the next step jim

Archived